Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby masterob » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:19 pm

markwilding wrote:
You have an Ipad. I know this is a much better piece of gadgetry than any cheap android box,That's not to say that the Andriod box is useless and not good value, but that you already have have the tools you need.
I agree. I have been using my iPad, Apple TV box and Filmon very successfully to replace the lost Channels. While it's not quite so convenient changing Channels as with the Humax box you soon get used to it. Telefonica seem to have improved my ADSL line and I am getting speeds of around 2.50 which is very adequate. I also have a Tooway satellite link (installed when the ADSL line was a disaster with speeds of less than 1.) Yes, I know having two internet options is a luxury "belt and braces" scenario!! Hopefully we are now ok for a continuing UK television service.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:25 pm

EL Cid or Markwilding, I have an Macbook pro 2 years old, if i buy an apple tv adaptor and have internet installed am I good to go or do I need more hardware?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:27 pm

OLYMPICS ON BBC

It seems that the BBC has a dedicated channel for the Olympics that is on the European beam.

On Freesat it is channel 982. It shows as BBC RB2 (RB for red button). There is also a RB! channel on 981 but I can't receive that.

It should be available on Sky boxes, but it might be a special channel that has to be manually selected. Any feedback from Sky users would be helpful.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:29 pm

costakid wrote:EL Cid or Markwilding, I have an Macbook pro 2 years old, if i buy an apple tv adaptor and have internet installed am I good to go or do I need more hardware?
The Apple range all supports Airplay so if you buy the Apple TV you should be OK. I use my iMac for downloading from iPlayer as it's faster than the iPad and it connects directly to the TV via the ATV and Airplay.

Sid

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Lots of things discussed on here way over my head just hanging on for the answer which I am sure will come from this site,as I see it BBC has moved but we can still get it on Filmon, so am I right in assuming that will now be OK for the future to watch BBC on Filmon or will Filmon now start to charge to watch anything on the site and if they do we can choose to pay or not to pay this is my question.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Lots of constantly updated (and hi-tech) satellite info here:
http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html.

Looks as if satellite reception here, even with a very large dish (and hi-spec LNB) is not on, at the moment.

Also appears that new Astra 2E signal strength in parts of the UK is less than before. If this causes problems, then the signal strength might be increased at some point, which might help here.

Seems that best thing to do at moment is nothing; as wise folk have already commented, there are plenty of shark companies out there, many offering 'outside the law' services, and willing to sell boxes (for a couple of hundred euros) that may well not provide an on-going solution.

The Apple TV (3rd generation) box provides an interesting means of getting whatever's on your iPad (such as FilmOn) onto your TV, via its HDMI socket, using your existing domestic wireless router.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Apple-TV-co ... s=apple+tv
Chris

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 pm

I have just started the 14 day trial of smartydns and am very impressed with it. There is a link here http://www.smartydns.com/unblocked-websites/ to the various sites you can access including BBC and all I need to do is connect my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable. A bit inconvenient I suppose and a Smart TV might be better but as I have a 17" laptop with a good usb speaker I think it will be solution for the soaps go and for my wife to watch Casualty on catch up as we're not normally in on aSaturday and had relied on Sky +

After 14 days you can pay by Paypal for whatever time period you want - gets cheaper the longer period you buy. It's in US dollars and 6 months costs $23.99 which is about £16.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi ajtg1952,

"I cannot get Expat Shield to work now?"......where is it failing............some info and we can give you pointers to get things working.
It tells me I need to purchase a pass for $4.99 per month. Is this normal now?

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 pm

Gosh, hello, well this thread has certainly grown! We lost all our BBC channels overnight on Thursday too. Does anyone have a list of which channels have gone/will go apart from the obvious? I seem to have lost TCM too, and wondering if that has moved too. All the Disney channels seemed to disappear too for a while but are back now, much to my kids' relief.

Watched Eastenders on Filmon last night.

Zofia
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:45 pm

El Cid wrote:OLYMPICS ON BBC

It seems that the BBC has a dedicated channel for the Olympics that is on the European beam.

On Freesat it is channel 982. It shows as BBC RB2 (RB for red button). There is also a RB! channel on 981 but I can't receive that.

It should be available on Sky boxes, but it might be a special channel that has to be manually selected. Any feedback from Sky users would be helpful.

Sid
Can't find it on SKY - any info so I can add it manually.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:28 pm

El Cid wrote: The iPlayer app certainly allows you to watch live.

Across the top are three options, Featured, Most Popular and On Now. Select the On Now option and choose the channel you want to watch.

ITV Player also allows you to watch live.

Sid
The Android app allows you to watch live too, it's just the mobile browser version that's different for some reason. Bit annoying, because otherwise the Google TV box (about €80) and Chrome with Zenmate seems perfect.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Scratch that last....Chrome for Android doesn't support extensions so no Zenmate :-(
Back to SmartyDNS....

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Is there anyone on here that is just using a white sky viewing card and if so what if any channels are you still able to receive. I'm not back is cds till Monday so won't know myself till I wake the box up. Thanks.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Miro wrote:
The Android app allows you to watch live too, it's just the mobile browser version that's different for some reason. Bit annoying, because otherwise the Google TV box (about €80) and Chrome with Zenmate seems perfect.
Google has their own version of the apple TV. In Europe we are waiting for it's release but it seems it will stream from an android device and it's not expensive, 35 dollars
Here is some information comparing the two
http://www.techradar.com/news/televisio ... r--1185491

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:18 pm

swerve wrote:Is there anyone on here that is just using a white sky viewing card and if so what if any channels are you still able to receive. I'm not back is cds till Monday so won't know myself till I wake the box up. Thanks.
Depends what pack you have but currently all the itv's are on and the 4's. Word is they will go early next week as Astra 1N is scheduled to pack its bags and go to 19 degrees on Wednesday 12th. Will we lose them though? Next week we will know.

So what is left besides them? :-

Basically all of the sky subscription channels are still available from what I can see although I haven't bothered to scroll through every single one :crazy:

satandpcguy has been listing changes on his website but all the channels I subscribe to are still available some of these have moved to the old Astra 2A satellite.

As said before on here itv 2HD itv 3HD and itv 4HD are scheduled to remain on the sky package which should mean they stay here witj the other subscription channels along with 5HD if you have the HD pack.

I suspect satandpcguy will be on shortly to kick me into touch but that's how I see it.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi

Could anyone tell me if streaming TV through my TV will incur additional cost from my Spanish Internet Provider???? It would be a handy stop gap until I get myself sorted out but am a bit worried I might be incurring a big bill????? Would anyone know perhaps?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi alicia,
If your internet contract is Unlimited then you will be ok............... :D

Check your contract.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Just found BBCRB2. Add channel on a Sky box using the following

Freq 12552 V
Symbol 22.00
Transponder 76
FEC 5/6

Just watching it now although I'm not sure what it will be showing - seems to be more about the past UK winners at the moment. The opening ceremony is currently on TDP on Spanish TV.
Last edited by Wicksey on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 pm

alicia wrote:Hi

Could anyone tell me if streaming TV through my TV will incur additional cost from my Spanish Internet Provider???? It would be a handy stop gap until I get myself sorted out but am a bit worried I might be incurring a big bill????? Would anyone know perhaps?
Who is your Spanish Internet Provider What download speeds do you get?
You can check your download speed by using http://www.speedtest.net/
Cheers
Gerry
Last edited by gerryh on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:21 pm

markwilding wrote: Google has their own version of the apple TV. In Europe we are waiting for it's release but it seems it will stream from an android device and it's not expensive, 35 dollars
Here is some information comparing the two
http://www.techradar.com/news/televisio ... r--1185491
Just been looking at that. Some more info here: https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chrome ... hromecast/
Looks ideal, with Zenmate installed on Chrome on the PC (to access iPlayer etc.) $35 and no further outlay/subscription? Sign me up! Some really crappy reviews so far though :(