Android Tv box - getting started

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Android Tv box - getting started

Postby snorbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:09 pm

I have ordered a box and just want to confirm my understanding of how to download uk tv apps when it arrives is correct
Will initally need a VPN to download apps from google play?
Once downloaded I can then revert to smart dns?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Android Tv box - getting started

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm

It should work OK with the smart DNS. There are very few apps that need a VPN rather than a DNS and a VPN will slow it down.

Sid

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Sid the smart DNS should also be ok for downloading the apps from google play ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:28 pm

It worked when I last tried it.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:27 pm

I think you might have a problem downloading UK apps from Google play with smart DNS servers directly to the Android device. There shouldn't be any problem with a UK VPN though.
See how you get on and if you have a problem, there are some work arounds.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm

thanks for the advice mark will give try with the VPN when the box arrives

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi Snorbs

If you are getting an Android box then you maybe interested in some other apps NOT in PlayStore. All are fine for use in Spain, as i have downloaded them to my mates boxes which he bought on my recommendation for his place in Nueva Andalucia when the Sky got pulled. He was looking at all the companies down there offering "streaming boxes" which all appeared to include some sort of recurring revenue for the suppliers (VPN etc), basically they appear to have been cashing in on 1000's of non tech savvie expats. He now has all the channels he wants on two of his TV's for under £200 one off investment and is chuffed to bits.

Before you read on, DON'T be scared about some of what i have written about security, i have been using all these App's for two years on multiple phones, tablets & Android TV boxes (Minix), in addition i ahve shared this info with over 100 other Android users (friends & a Football forum i frequent), not one person has had any issues and all have loved these app's

One will give you access to all the latest films and major US shows (including those supposedly exclusive to Amazon, Netflix etc). It gives you the option to stream "watch now" or download normally in low-med-high res (depending on if you are using phone, tablet or TV Box). There is no need for VPN etc & it updates daily on the tv shows side & probably weekly on the movies side. I watched series 3 of Ripper St back in November/December and downloaded The Imitation game to my tablet (to watch on the train to Waterloo in the morning).

http://showboxappdownload.com/download-show-box-apk/ The link will take you to take you to a google drive link and just download it, during the install process you will be asked to allow download from unknown sources check yes and it will download.

The other apps are for sport (in my case footie) This one is called Torrent Stream Controller, don't worry about it being a Russian site, there is an obvious "download" button, this will also prompt about you to download from unknown source.

Edited - removed link to illegal site. Sid

Halfway through installing this apk it will also tell you need Acestream, just follow the instructions and hey presto. Once installed open the Torrent stream controller and all the channels are in alphabetical order, scroll down to Sky Sports 1 and click, this opens Acestream automatically and then once it has pre buffered it wall ask which video app you want to open it with, i normally use VLC (from Google Playstore).

There is one more that i use for footie which is normally better picture quality than the other, but links to games can be hard to track down http://www.sopcast.org/download/android.html On the day of the game you want to watch, about an hour before KO google e.g. "Sopcast link for Manchester City vs Liverpool" (this Sunday btw) you shouild get results which are normally a numeric link and once clicked should launch sopcast.

Also one more thing, it is worth also downloading "Amazon Appstore" whilst 90% of apps are the same, Amazon do have some that don't aren't on Play Store due to google's policies, such as an add blocker. You will probably be able to get loveFilm without having to use a VPN.

Have fun.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:19 pm

H CTID Hants,
Welcome to The Forum............with reservations............normally we get to know one another before we post procedures that are way above our average Member's pay scale............. :shock:

No doubt Sid will pop on and have a chat.............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Enrique, I love your posts............but...........why all those ...............dots?........

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi ashtondav,

...............they are my Water Marks............so you know its a Genuine post from The Enrique................. :angel:

OR maybe I have a sticky . key :shock:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Sorry guys didn't mean to offend, I now realise the error of my ways, just trying to be helpful.

I'm a bit of an android evangelist and just wanted to share......

I believe PM is the way forward here.....

Cheers

Hants

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 am

to download the amazon uk appstore would a smart dns work or it also needs vpn?