NowTV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
barry
Resident

Re: NowTV

Postby barry » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:24 pm

You need digital aerial to get freeview channels, so not in Spain.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:09 pm

After the recent problems I've had, I thought "here we go again" today when my NowTV box appeared t be stuck in a boot-loop. Disconnected and reconnected, checked my IP is activated etc., nothing would work. Instead of reacting too quickly as before, assuming it was because they know I'm in Spain, :oops: I decided to go cool off in the pool. I came back and tried again a couple of hours later, and all is well again. And then (only then!) I thought to look at their website, and saw this:

"On Thursday 11th August between 11.00 and 19.00 we will be performing maintenance affecting the NOW TV & Roku boxes.

During this time, customers will be unable to activate new NOW TV boxes and existing customers will be unable to add new channels from the channel store.

Customers should avoid re-setting their boxes during this maintenance window. If you re-set your box during this time, you will need to wait until the maintenance window is complete and then re-set your box again.

Existing customers will be able to continue to watch NOW TV via these devices during this window."

Doesn't quite explain what I experienced (a continuous boot-loop) but does I guess explain why it wasn't functioning normally. But WHY don't they do this in the middle of the night? And why don't they e-mail customers to warn them?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

mac69
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mac69 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 am

I have both a roku and Nowtv boxes . roku did send me a warning email on the 9th , but as you say nothing from Nowtv .

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Same problem as last week again, just before two Premiership matches are due to start! NowTV asking me to sign in, but not accepting my username/password. I've been using Unlocator again.
My SmartyDNS subscription ran out a couple of days ago, so I quickly renewed it, and changed my DNS settings back to theirs, and all is well.
Polite e-mail sent to Unlocator asking how they would like to compensate me for the loss of service. I'll post their reply when I get it.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Same here, NowTV asking me to sign in, but not accepting my username/password, whilst using Unlocator again?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:22 pm

Maybe think of having both Unlocator and Smarty and alternate when issues arise. If you get a year subscription to Smarty at the moment it will cost $27 for the year approx 45p a week....a cheap piece of mind solution

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:28 pm

That's what I'm doing, but lately Unlocator seems to be the problem. I hope they might compensate for these problems. Either way though, I'll keep them on, because next time it might be Smarty...

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:39 pm

From Unlocator this morning: "We are aware of these issues and we are working on resolving them. We will let you know when everything is back in place. Thank you for your patience."
Not very satisfactory. I paid about £32 for a year with them, hardly anything per month, but when I'm paying £34 a month for Sky Sports, I need to know it's going to work whenever there's a live match or GP on.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:48 pm

You will never ever get that guarantee from any smart DNS service as they are always playing cat and mouse with the broadcasters. The broadcaster will blacklist their servers and it does take them time to get things working again.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Makes sense, and fair enough I suppose. Good reason, as you suggested before, for having more than one smart DNS service.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Indeed having both does give peace of mind and both together on a yearly sub will only be around the cost of a cup of coffee a week :thumbup:

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Sky set to launch Now TV in Spain.... ( http://www.satandpcguy.com/2016/08/15/s ... nch-spain/ )
obviously content will be restricted to what rights they have...so will not be the same content as Now TV UK.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:40 am

Was having problems with Now TV box over the weekend. The i-players worked fine, but the sky part (entertainment, movies etc) did not. Emailed our DNS provider (Unlocator) and their reply, within 10 minutes was:

SEP 11, 2016 | 08:35PM CEST
Mahmoud replied:
Hi Martin
We have shifted things around. Please try again.
Regards

and it worked? Wonder what they "shifted around"?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:58 pm

I noticed that NOW TV has just introduced an APP for Samsung TV. I thought I'd give it a go to see if it works. I went on the Now website and saw an offer for one month's Sky sports, £10.99 for a month so I went for that.
Just tried it on my TV and it works fine with Unlocator DNS settings in my router.

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:38 pm

In spain for a few months how can I change the dns settings on my nowtv box and who is best to use I used to use unlocator

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 pm

You Can't.....NOWTV box does not allow access to the DNS settings....you'll need to change them in your Router. I use smartdnsproxy.