PAYG Sim card

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

PAYG Sim card

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 pm

I bought an Orange PAYG sim card in Ingenio Velez Malaga and put €10 credit, to my surprised the credit reducing over time even though I used only a couple of text messages. When it has gone down less than €1 I put another €5 in and at the moment it is less than €3. I guessed that Orange Spain charges for standing charge. Is there a network that doesn't incur standing charge?
Thank for all reply.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: PAYG Sim card

Postby MartinEB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:30 pm

We have always been very happy with Digi:

https://www.digimobil.es/bonos.php?act= ... 0&idLang=2

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:55 pm

My wife is on Pre-paid Orange and her saldo does not deteriorate at all...strange things I think!

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Torrox_campo wrote:I bought an Orange PAYG sim card in Ingenio Velez Malaga and put €10 credit, to my surprised the credit reducing over time even though I used only a couple of text messages. When it has gone down less than €1 I put another €5 in and at the moment it is less than €3. I guessed that Orange Spain charges for standing charge. Is there a network that doesn't incur standing charge?
Thank for all reply.
Just a thought, is it a case of you using some 3 or 4G data on it without you knowing?
Are you able to check your consumption online as you can on many other PAYG providers?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm

I use Movistar here no standing charges.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:27 pm

I have a Vodafone PAYG sim card and the balance doesn't go down unless I make a call or send a text.

I seem to remember there being a problem around some time ago whereby if people received a text message from some dodgy source or other, and opened it, it somehow enabled them to take money from your credit (but I can't remember the number involved or the name of it, sorry). Could it be possible that something of that nature has happened?

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:03 am

It is strange that the credit has gone down almost everyday without usage it has only €2.72 credit now. The phone is an old iphone 4s with lastest software so no update is required. Where I live the Orange signal is strongest and that was the reason I bought an Orange sim. I may need to buy a sim from different network.
Thank you for all your replies.

Just signed in Orange and discovered my tarrif is Ballena.
Last edited by Torrox_campo on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:11 am

Look to your texts, I am Orange, although contract, and I suddenly had a 100€ bill, contract is 29€ and I rarely exceeded that before. I found a text to a premium number daily which I was and am at a loss as to how it started, but Orange Customer services blocked it and refunded most of the bill.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:41 pm

I am Orange PAYG but have never experienced a reducing balance like that. It must be something like Lyric suggested.

When we recently bought a Smartphone the girl in the shop switched something off so we would never use the SIM to access the internet, either on purpose of by mistake. We only use it with the wifi at home or if we are in a cafe etc that has free wifi.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:19 pm

I've always used Hits who work on the Vodaphone network. Calls are very cheap, even to the UK and no problem with reducing balance.

Probe

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 am

I am guessing when you set up you signed up to a likely text prompt instead of opting out...
I had a similar experience years ago and had to call the provider to get advise to undo...

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:07 pm

probe wrote:I've always used Hits who work on the Vodaphone network. Calls are very cheap, even to the UK and no problem with reducing balance.

Probe

My husband has Hits Mobile contract, this morning at 05,40 a text message came through saying he had used up his 100 text messages he has a month. He hadn't used any of this months allowance. They have, according to their Web page, ' put on weight ' to their packages! My husbands package has lost weight! He queried it, according to Hits, his sms were 'free' so he hasn't lost them! Rubbish! Not impressed with Hits nor the wake up text message!

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:57 pm

As far as hits is concerned in my opinion (apart from the glitch this morning!), there is no other provider to touch them if you are a regular international caller like me. I pay 17.90 per month for 1gb data 250 mins of national and international mobile and fixed line calls and 100 texts although I hardly use texts these days. I've been using them since I got my first smartphone in 2011 and haven't found anything to better it though I am always on the look out.

Have just had a call from hits and they have in fact ditched the sms texts but increased the data allowance to 1.5gb. Suits me as I rarely use sms but may not suit others who rely on texts, and yes they should at least have given subscribers the info and options before doing that.
Last edited by northandsouth on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Where can you buy a standard PAYG sim where you pay up front with no monthly charge. Just for calls, no data required. OK, possibly need to recharge every 6 months but that's not a problem.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 pm

My husband bought one a couple of weeks ago from a Movistar shop. It cost €20 with €10 of credit.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 pm

El Cid wrote:Where can you buy a standard PAYG sim where you pay up front with no monthly charge. Just for calls, no data required. OK, possibly need to recharge every 6 months but that's not a problem.

Sid
I use Yoigo with no complaints.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:06 am

I use Vodafone ES. PAYG, pay up front for calls and texts only. Loose it if you don’t top up every 6 months. Works for me.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks for the advice. I went into the Movistar shop and they hadn't got any PAYG Sims in stock :thumbdown:

Went next door to Phonehouse and got an Orange Sim for €10 with €10 credit, available for 12months before recharge.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:24 pm

oliveview01 wrote:
probe wrote:I've always used Hits who work on the Vodaphone network. Calls are very cheap, even to the UK and no problem with reducing balance.

Probe

My husband has Hits Mobile contract, this morning at 05,40 a text message came through saying he had used up his 100 text messages he has a month. He hadn't used any of this months allowance. They have, according to their Web page, ' put on weight ' to their packages! My husbands package has lost weight! He queried it, according to Hits, his sms were 'free' so he hasn't lost them! Rubbish! Not impressed with Hits nor the wake up text message!

I have a contract with hits and got the same text message at around 6am. Just before i set off to drive to portugal! Wondered what the heck it was. Worried i had been scammed. Spent 2 hrs driving before the call centre opened wondering everything you can imagine. Then took ages to get through. No doubt everyone else was ringing them aswell! Anyway at least a relief when i found out they had just changed the tarrif. It would have been nice if the idiots had told us before. A simple text message maybe?

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:11 pm

I've had a PAYG Happy Movil sim card for over a year now. Every time I checked the balance (once every couple of months) the balance had reduced noticeably bearing in mind only a couple of short calls a month. I think I've got to the bottom of it. The calls are free up to 10 minutes then about 3 cents a minute after that but there is a minimum 2.9 euro spend per month so every month 3 euros is taken off the balance... unless there is another explanation.