Getting out of Movistar

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
unis09
Tourist

Getting out of Movistar

Postby unis09 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Friends cancelled their Movistar service in Spain 6 months ago. They did all the right things, but still keep getting bills and letters demanding payment. They are totally frustrated with Movistar.

A year ago I made what appears now to be a mistake in getting a mobile phone for my wife on my Movistar Fusion account. I did not read the small print saying the contract - Fusion con movil addicional - was for 24 months.

Our broadband service is poor - reaches 2 mb/s maximum. Neighbours have got satellite internet set-ups, which give over 10 mb/s. The ideal would be to have a MiFi system since the 3g on my mobile phone gives up to 12 mb/s despite our inconvenient location for signals. But Movistar don't seem to offer MiFi.

Ideally I would get rid of my landline and its broadband and go to MiFi.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get out of a Movistar contract prematurely?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting out of Movistar

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:32 pm

unis09 wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get out of a Movistar contract prematurely?
If they operate the same as Vodafone does you can terminate the contract by paying the appropriate early termination fee.
The fee reduces as it gets nearer the end of the contracted period.
Have a look at your contract online and see what the termination fee is, that is assuming they operate in the same way as Vodafone does.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Also check what the contract for broadband says. If you're getting consistently lower, then you have grounds for cancelling the service because of failure to provide.

After careful checking, you should cancel the contract to them in writing (the address on your bill, and by To Be Signed For delivery), and also inform your bank to stop payments to them from as from an appropriate date. You should also return to them any phones or equipment that came with the contract.

Movistar-Telefonica have a long history of eventually allowing customers to cancel contracts, but in the meantime (can be several months) continue to make bank debits, even though the service is not being used. The way round this - and to get their immediate attention and action - is to instruct the bank to stop, otherwise their reaction with be leisurely, to say the least.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:47 pm

You can pay up any contract and get out. You could buy out of a 24 month contract after a month if you needed to.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Fusion has no "permanancia" apart from the mobile contract. I cancelled my Fusion contract, but had to pay a small cancellation charge for the mobile part. It was very simple and I transferred my landline and mobile number to the new provider with no problems at all.

You do need to make sure that you get a cancellation code for your Domo phone and router and take them to your local Movistar office and get the return processed on their system.

For Movistar, it was a surprisingly pain free experience.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:43 am

Well I have a pay as you go with Movistar and I notice that my account goes down without my using it. I only have it for text, but it would seem that if someone rings you on it you are charged! Is that correct. It has only been doing that for about six months so I wonder if they have changed their charges! I would change but I have had the same number for at least 15 years!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:25 pm

You can still keep your number if you change. Just have it ported across.sounds like you are been ripped off if they charge you to answer it!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:29 pm

I didnt realise that. Yes I am being ripped off good and proper. I never use it to phone, and so far have not even texted anyone but have received calls and it has gone down by 8 euros in a week or so!

I will do that. Any good deals out there! who is the best for PAYG!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi patricia,
Have a non-smart phone, use Vodafone PAYG, just fired it up on my return to Spain Credit same a when I left, only use it for TXT and the odd very brief calls , 10€ lasts for ever and have to remember to top-up every 6 months.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Can I keep the same number though Enrique!! I am sick of movistar. I do have their land line so I use that for most of my calls to UK etc. but honestly nearly 8 euros for received calls because I haven't made any nor sent a text yet. I only topped it up a week or so ago and that was because the credit kept going down when I hadnt used it! I spoke to them on the phone about it a month or so OK but they seemed to think it was because I was using it. At the mo. I am trying to get into my account to see what I am paying for!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:13 pm

When we changed our phones from Movistar to Vodafone, Vodafone asked if if we wanted to keep our numbers and they did the cancelling of Movistar and transferred us to their, Vodafone system, without any effort osr hassle on our part. They phoned us when the transfer was completed to let us know it was completed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Same when we changed from Movistar to a WiFi system - no problems at all transferring the number.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:37 pm

I have just got into my account and it seems to take out 1.49 a week for something which is called renewal yavoy! 1.49 no idea what that is, perhaps someone can throw a light on it!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Try following the advice shown here:

http://www.reclamacionesconsumidor.com/ ... aja-yavoy/
Let's go Brandon!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Well have been on the phone to them and it is a service which they have given me - very nice of them - costing me 1.49 a week. What service that is I do not know. However I will most certainly change providers now. That is disgusting. They are hopefully refunding me the whole amount going over six months or so. What thieves that are! :evil:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:11 pm

I read that Beach. That is disgusting! what crooks they are. Movistar again!

Thanks for that link.

I have spoken to them and apparently they will give me a rebate, however that is it for me. I intend to find another supplier. :evil:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:21 pm

We use hits mobile. They use vodafone have a look on their website. All in english .you can pay a few euros a year and you wont have to top up at all (alot of companies require you to top up every 3-6 months or lose your line)

Mas mobile also have a good reputation

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:34 pm

I think I will go with Vodafone. I would like to keep the same number if possible, but if not I will get another sim. I am finished with Movistar.

But I will have a look at the one you have suggested Elusive. Thank you

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:37 pm

I was with Airtel/Vodafone for twenty years but changed to Simyo about eighteen months ago. You can keep the same number. They charge €7 for the card but then give you €10 credit. You can choose your package or make up your own, prepaid or contract:

http://www.simyo.es/
Let's go Brandon!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:47 pm

That is worth a try, thank you Beach, I will take a look. Movistar has gone gone gone.