Mozailla Firefox

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
vinuela vinny
Resident

Mozailla Firefox

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi All

Has anyone else noticed that the Mozilla Firefox Browser is becoming a bit of a problem? or is it me?

Recently, I have had difficulty on several websites - Ryanair (difficulties moving to the payment page), Santander (hanging and then timing out) and Endesa (not moving to the client page), among several others - which when queried, has been attributed by the companies involved, as being due to the browser used, and all have recommended changing to Chrome, saying that their websites are optimised for Chrome (whatever that means?)......

Despite being a creature of habit and loyal to those who have served well over many years, I downloaded Chrome, and had no problems whatsoever with the websites mentioned......

Any thoughts would be welcomed.......

Best Regards

Vincent

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mozailla Firefox

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi vinuela vinny,
I've not noticed what you're reporting...........yet

I did post a while back that Firefox was moving to a "new" model in November and some add-ons had not caught up and caused some problems.

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ox#p373148

In the past Sites have supported the Major Browsers........maybe they are cutting down and Google Chrome will be the one and only...... :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

No problems here with Mozilla Firefox.
Slightly wary of using Chrome as it belongs to Google and they have a habit of tracking your usage.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Easy enough to go into Chrome settings - Privacy and Security Turn on " Send a "Do Not Track" request with your browsing traffic".
Of course you can also use "Incognito" mode if your that concerned about Google seeing your Internet browsing activities, it will stop Chrome itself from logging your browsing data. I use several browsers but on the whole find Chrome far more user friendly than Firefox and Safari, but that's probably just down to familiarity.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 am

Chrome doesn't have to track your browsing for Google to be able to figure it out anyway as Google owns so much software on the other end of every site so they can cross-reference your data. If you are concerned about privacy and big data, avoid using Chrome as much as possible.

There are other free alternatives to Mozilla btw.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:35 am

I would agree that Firefox has become troublesome over recent months, with no amount of cache cleaning or even reinstalling (having used FFs cleaner) curing the problem. For example, in my current location, the EasyJet site refuses to load any input data, defaulting back to the home page.
Sites I use for work and a couple of other booking sites refuse to function properly on it and the help files for said sites nearly always recommend using chrome, a browser I've always shied away from in the past. As said above, with the correct settings selected chrome is as "private" as any other.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am

I have switched to chrome for Ryanair on the advise of someone here as Firefox completely mal-functioned on this site for me.
Otherwise i have not noticed problems..

vinuela vinny
Resident

Re: Mozilla Firefox

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 am

Hi All

Thanks everyone for your advice - all very much appreciated, and reassuring that it's not all down to me......

As wollie, we now use Chrome for certain websites - particularly Ryanair (we've just reserved most of our flights for the next nine months) - but for the time being will stick with Mozilla for the rest of our internet work, including our internet banking, mainly due to familiarity.......

Regards to all

Vincent

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

Just tried both the Ryanair and Easyjet sites.
No problem with either of them.
I am using the latest version of Firefox and the latest version of Win 10.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 am

In this day and age it still amazes me that some sites don't work with chrome, but are fine with IE or whatever its called these days. So much for standards.........
Regards

Bob

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am

Good days,
Another option is Palemoon.....a retro look Firefox............ :idea:

https://www.palemoon.org/#

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:41 am

Hi Bob
The problem is historical.
When HTML, the language used for websites, was first developed an agreed set of rules/ standards was agreed upon.
Unfortunately some who developed websites using IE ignored some of the rules/standards such that the website would only work in IE and not in any other browser. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:28 am

Microsoft Edge is my choice of Browser these days. I find it faster and less problematical than both Firefox and Chrome, which needs reinstalling from time to time.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Mark,
Do you use an Add-blocker on Edge if so which one........ :?:

I've just installed Ublock from the Store to see how things run........... :D

Having built a workstation his weekend and installed the latest Windows 10 build , it pushes Edge as the Browser to have, even doing a speed test when you first open it........Edge being the Fastest against Chrome and Firefox.........of course.

Jury is out on this wireless keyboard.........seems to go to sleep if I'm thinking.........and not typing..... :)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi,
Up until this morning I have tried to avoid using extensions on Edge but coincidentally, I too installed AdBlock after posting on this thread this morning.
I’ll see how I get on with it. As you say Edge opens faster so if I see a slowdown, I will look at it and see if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:09 pm

gerryh wrote:Hi Bob
The problem is historical.
When HTML, the language used for websites, was first developed an agreed set of rules/ standards was agreed upon.
Unfortunately some who developed websites using IE ignored some of the rules/standards such that the website would only work in IE and not in any other browser. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
But that was 20 years ago Gerry. Blimy i was creating websites when you had to code html in a text editor, no such thing as wysiwig editors back then. This incompatibility should be history especially since its been many years since IE was the defacto browser, and the other(s) were just an seemingly inconsequential itch in Microsoft's side.
Regards

Bob

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm running Widows 8.0.and Firefox is fine, no issues. If I use Chrome, Malwarebytes picks up 336 items of malware each time I open it even without visiting any sites. Any explanations? I was intending to use Chome for internet banking because it is said to be more secure than Firefox.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Granite: you are probably already infected. One nasty type of malware installs itself every time you click on a certain icon, like the Chrome shortcut on your desktop. I had one of those on my dads computer and I couldn't remove it by hand or with any of the antimalware tools on the market. I had to reformat the drive and make a clean install to get rid of it.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi Granite,

Have you Googled the Malware items.......... :?:

Next get a copy of Adwcleaner................Yes they have teamed up with Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

It will scan the Browsers...........you may have a Browser Hijacker on Chrome........so need to clean it up before thinking of using it for Banking.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. The Malware was all MindSparc. I ran Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes several times but after initially being able to remove the malware it always reappeared when I opened Chrome again. I then reset Chrome and all now appears well. Having said that I still have a preference for Firefox.

I have a laptop running Vista and a desktop with Windows 8.0. Slowly running out of compatible browsers and supported operating systems! I plan to install Linux Mint 17.1 xfce on the laptop and Linux Mint 18.2 on the desktop. Don't really see any real advantage to upgrading to Windows 10 if all our needs are basically internet access.

Many thanks for again for the advice