Unplugging during thunderstorms?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
allgram
Resident

Unplugging during thunderstorms?

Postby allgram » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 am

Now we have the prospect of more thunderstorms during our autumn /winter seasons,after having our boiler checked and being told to unplug it during these storms, a friend of ours has recently had her router and telephone cables "fried" by lightening and I am wondering if I should unplug ours? Any advice? and what do other members do.

Thank you

allgram.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Unplugging during thunderstorms?

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am

For your router/ telephone cables buy a surge protector.
To protect the whole householder get a surge protector fitted to your house "fusebox".
Endessa now insist one is fitted on all new installations.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:05 am

If i am in and a storm is brewing I always unplug the TV and computer etc. I have had an alarm panel and cctv system fried by a power surge in the uk.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:42 am

The most likely problem is from the phone line as the above ground cables are very liable to pick up static from storms. If you do nothing else, always unplug the phone cable from the router.

I use number of UPS battery backup systems which are extremely effective protection and they usually have the option to route the phone cable through the unit. You can buy one for as little as about €60 which is a lot cheaper than a new PC or TV! The only downside is that when the power goes off, they all start bleeping and it is usually in the middle of the night!

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Endesa will not not meet claims for damage to household wiring or equipment caused by excessive voltage, unless an over-voltage (sobretension) protector is fitted.

For a single-phase household, these devices occupy just a single breaker position on the fuseboard. They constantly monitor the incoming line voltage, and are designed to cause the RCCD (safety trip, with the Test button) to ping out rapidly.

For a three-phase installation, you can either fit three devices (one for each phase), or obtain a 3-phase unit (which occupies 4 breaker slots).

These devices protect the whole household, and are set to trip at a preset over-voltage. 260v is a reasonable figure; some devices are as low as 245v, but these can cause nuisance tripping. 260v will not damage household equipment for the fraction of a second that it takes for the OVP trip to ping out.

The devices automatically reset themselves after the 'event'. However, standard RCCDs (safety trips) do not, so if your house is unoccupied for periods, and freezers etc are important, then an auto-resetting RCCD is a good idea.
Chris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi,
Managed to charge my flux capacitor over the weekend................ 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 pm

I don't think any of the surge protectors available on the market will save you from a close lightning strike. If you are dependent on your electronic equipment you should unplug it if the thunder is nearby.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Flexo wrote:I don't think any of the surge protectors available on the market will save you from a close lightning strike. If you are dependent on your electronic equipment you should unplug it if the thunder is nearby.
Well said - there's not much you can do about a true lightning strike - just have insurance

Davexf

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 am

Thank you all for the advice offered, unplugging is the way to go.
allgram.