Ping speed

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Ping speed

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am

Over the last week or so I have been having problems slow connection speed, not just with my PC but the TV and Smartphone. I only have one item connected at once and rarely have the phone on wifi, but it's been very noticeable on the TV and PC as it's so slow to download pages even though my speed is around 4mbps. Although my download speed is good I have a high ping, sometimes over 100 but often in the 70s. Is this something I should contact my ISP about?

I bought a new router last year and generally it has been working really well with my Smart TV but things are unwatchable at the moment. I tried putting the ethernet cable directly into my PC to see if the router is a problem, but it didn't seem to recognise it and wouldn't connect. I have SmartyDNS in my router - would this affect anything? (Keep it simple chaps :oops: )

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ping speed

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi Wicksey,
For Windows system..........
In Search programs and files
Start -> cmd ( a black DOS box comes up)

Type tracert 8.8.8.8 this traces a route with timings to a Google server

I've found in the past when things have slowed the requests spent large amounts of time routing through the ISP

Looking at one I made earlier.....my requests are between 21ms and 50ms to the Google server, when things were slow 1000ms was reported at the ISP end.

It's also best to check at various times during the day, you may be getting a hit at peak times........... :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Wicksey, before you do anything (unless you've already done this) I would suggest you turn off and unplug your router for a minute and then reboot. Then go into Smarty and re validate your IP and then check if this has solved your issues. SmartyDNS should NOT affect your speeds or ping.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:59 am

Firsttango I unplug the router each night anyway so it is rebooted every morning.

This morning it's a bit quicker at 50ms. Could be that weekends are worse as there's a lot more people on the Costa then and my signal comes up from there. My ISP is based on the Costa for German clients mainly I think and I guess I am the furthest client from him being in the campo.

Enrique I tried that but I get the message "8.8.8.8 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am

Hi Wicksey.

You need to type the Command ......... tracert 8.8.8.8

As per my previous Post......tracert ...........traces the route to the given IP and shows timings in ms (milliseconds)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 am

Ooops .... I understand now!

It goes through 12 stages/hops to get to the google server. 2 said 'request timed out' which is a message I get quite a bit when a page won't load. I'm not sure what the 3 sets of ms figures are beside each stage, but the highest one was 80ms although most are in the 20-40ms range.

Just tried it a second time and the same two stages are timed out so no result, but ms figures are much higher this time up to 278ms.

It's like this all the time at the moment that one minute it's really quick and working OK and then next it's awful. Trying to watch catchup on the TV is impossible. Is this something I should contact my ISP about do you think?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Wicksey,

The results you're interested in are the first (maybe more) five entries these will be the ones going to your ISP and how they Route through their Network, once its out on the WWW the ISP dosn't have much say on that.

As an example my ISP uses a Network starting in 10. after the last 10. it then goes out to Jazztel or whoever they use to forward on.

Looking at my ISP the average is 26ms to 41ms through their Network.

Should your ISP get very busy at peak times then the Times through their network could be large ....... Example 1000ms
Last edited by Enrique on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am

The 4th stage is static.ccgg.telefonica.net so is that likely to be the ISP's source?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 am

Who is your ISP ?
Can you use the Snipping tool and PM me the result .

:shock: Forget that the Forum Attachment seems to have disappeared again. :shock:

I'll PM you an email to use.

Thanks