Wireless internet provider in Granada city?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Wireless internet provider in Granada city?

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 am

Hi everyone,
We've built a new house in the city of Granada (la Bola de Oro barrio) and I would like to get the cheapest reasonable internet supply, I don't really want to have a phone line (or fibre) installed.
Anybody got experience with Wimax or similar technology in the city? There are a number of companies offering Wimax (not especially cheap) but I can't find any reviews.
I don't see a lot of posts here from Granada so maybe it's a long shot.
Many thanks

pensure1988
Resident

Re: Wireless internet provider in Granada city?

Postby pensure1988 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:01 am

Good Morning

Here are two websites for you. Molly Picavey is very helpful in answering any query about Granada City.

http://www.airnetwifi.es/en/broadband/

https://www.piccavey.com/move-to-granada-spain/

Good Luck

David

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

1988 is on yourRe: Wireless internet provider in Granada city?

Postby Enrique » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 am

Hi hangoverocks,
A guide price for Wimax ......... 12Mb down, 1Mb up circa 30 euro /month.

Please PM me the company names and I'll ask around................ :idea:

I see pensure1988 is on your case........... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:24 am

These people mainly cover Granada city. Lots of options and good service and prices. Their WiFi services are very fast, we get over 30mb/s all the time. They will also setup a telephone service via the Internet and they also do mobile phone contracts.

http://www.radiokable.net/

I thoroughly recommend them.

Sid

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you David, Enrique and Cid,
What quick replies!
I had seen both Airnetwifi.es and Radiokable.net on the web (Radiokable don't waste any money on web design !), so, since theirs is basically a radio-wave delivered internet (I think), it seemed important to check-out user reviews - some people here say (e.g.) that, during fiestas or at school pickup times, the influx of visitors can restrict the available bandwidth. Also there are *sometimes* hidden charges like download caps, minimum contracts (is that what "Cumplida la Permanencia" means?).
Also I guess it depends on the local hills which may impede the signal.
BTW thank you for Molly Picavey's website - it looks really good and I think I'll get in touch with her (glad she only took twenty years to get fluent in castellano - just another 12 years to go for me!).
aye,
Simon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Radiokable offer two systems, Wimax and Radiofibra. I have the Radiofibra 30 option so I can't comment on the Wimax options from firsthand experience. The Wimax options are pretty slow and these may well suffer (like most similar systems) from overloading and hence lower speeds.

The Radiofibra system uses a small satellite dish for line of site connection. It is very consistent - the only difference I see at different times of the day is by how much it exceeds 30mb. It is never less, typically 35mb and frequently hits 40 or above. The ping is 10ms or less and the upload varies from about 10mb on a few small packets but on large uploads it settles down to about 4mb. There are no usage caps.

You can add a phone system, keeping your existing number for 5/mth with free calls. There is no minimum contract but if you stop before 18 months they will expect you to pay a proportion of the cost of providing the free router and free installation.

If you want to chat with them about all the options call Eva Milena on 958 998 100‬ or email [email protected]. She speaks excellent English and is
very helpful.

Sid

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Thank you Sid, for your personal experience,
of course, with a name like Radiofibra I hadn't guessed that it is cable-free! But looks to have impressive speeds so I will have another gander.
We really don't need a fixed line any more, nor keep our old number (we had kept it for fax's but...) - I am finding that free iP telephony (Facebook, Whatsapp and Skype that I know-of and use) is getting increasingly reliable and high quality.
But you have given me what I was really looking for, which is your own story.
Thank you so much
aye,
Simon

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:32 am

Update on this topic...
A year and a half after my original question... we are finally moving into our new huse. And I am more determined than ever not to contract with Telefónica or the other big multinationals if I can help it.
I am looking for (e.g.) 10Mb internet without telephone cables.
I contacted Radiokable by email (radiofibra technology, not satellite), they replied there is insufficient cover to provide internet to my new house (house in the "Bola de Oro" barrio of Granada city, 2 km from the city centre).
I also contacted Winet (radiofibra technology) who sent two technicos from Sevilla to visit the house with a dish, they took readings from my terrace and reported that their signal is not strong enough to provide internet to the new house.
I will not give-up, I have heard fairly bad things about WiMax technology but perhaps it has improved in the last few years?
Then there is satellite internet but it seems very expensive from my poor research.
Anyone got any other ideas for internet provision without (Telefónica) cables?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 am

Hi hangoverocks,

" I have heard fairly bad things about WiMax technology but perhaps it has improved in the last few years"............ :?:

The only one that gets into 4*+ ratings in Granada area............. http://www.granacable.com/wimax, have you contacted them :?:

I've been using Wi-Max past 15 years in Spain and find it's OK, if you have line of sight to the Antenna then you should be good to go.
I'm currently on 12MB down and 1MB up, the maximum offered here is 15MB down. No limits and 24hr uptime. Same price I posted at start of this thread.

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Muchas gracias Enrique,
But the website you post, on the "ATENCION AL CLIENTE" page, says "Direccion instalacion: solo en Maracena y Atarfe"
do you live in Maracena or Atarfe? they're on the opposite side of the city to me.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi hangoverocks,
The link I posted was the only one to rate over 4*.........in the Granada area
You need to have a wander round your location with phone/laptop and see what WiFi are available and follow up........ :idea:

My location is in my profile.

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks Enrique,
I misunderstood that you´d been with GranaCable for 15 years.
Where did you get the 4* review? (since it appears GranaCable only works in 2 barrios on the other side of the city).
I will do as you suggest and use my mobile to look for signals - do you happen to know if should be looking for Access Points (surely I´m not looking for wi-fi signals)?
Thank you
Simon

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi hangoverocks,
When you wander round your location look for small round or square boxes on houses pointing roughly the same direction to antenna across the valley or up to a visible high point with antenna.
You will will see available networks on your phone, as most users don't change their WiFi access point names the ISP default name will appear .
This will give you some idea what's available in the area and you can then follow up.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:07 pm

What I would like to know is why anybody would prefer not to use Movistar,whose infrastructure will be much better, rather than a system which tends to be used only when the main alternatives are not available.

I couldn’t imagine anyone in my area choosing a company using satellite technology over cable technology, whether it be fibre or the older telephone line systems.

It cannot be very financially viable when the traditional options are available meaning that not many companies would invest there and would be much more at risk of failure.

Maybe i’ve got it wrong but I’d be interested to know the reasons why you are so anti Movistar.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm

I have ADSL with Movistar but because I am in an isolated rural area I only get a download speed of 2 or 3 mbps. My neighbour who is about 500 metres down the lane has a WiFi connection of around 30 mbps with a local provider whose antenna is only about 1km away in line of site.

With my 3 mbps I can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, You Tube, BBC iPlayer and ITV hub etc with no buffering whatsoever whereas my neighbour is unable to do so because of constant buffering and freezing and this is because whereas my jitter is 1 ms and packet loss is 0,0% his jitter is around 10 ms and packet loss 10% to 15%.

He has complained constantly to his provider but they are unable to resolve the problem and he is now in consultation with Movistar to agree a price to extend their line to cover his location. Although it is only 500 metres it is not a cheap option because there are no other neighbours with whom to share the cost.

Therefore I also would like to know why anyone would prefer not to use Movistar when the option is readily available. Sounds like a case of 'enojar a otro y herirse en el ojo' to me.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Beachcomber,
" his jitter is around 10 ms and packet loss 10% to 15%."......has he had the antenna/router replaced on the house :?:

The packet loss is unacceptable .......

My jitter is 8,2ms but no packet loss , I'm on Wimax
Last edited by Enrique on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm

He has had everything replaced to no avail. The company has even replaced their equipment at the transmitting site.

hangoverocks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hangoverocks » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:53 am

Why don´t I want to contract with Movistar?
1. They are expensive.
2. They are gangsters - owned by Telefónica which has a monopoly on the telephone "backbone" - The Government ordered Telefónica to bury their cables that habitually hang on the front walls of houses, Telefónica has not done this. Granada Urbanismo ordered us to bury Telefónica's cables which pass accross our front wall (we have no telephone so these cables provide us no benefit), we had to pay 700€ to do Telefónica's work for them (despite sending a Burofax to Telefónica pointing out their responsibility under law).
On top of the above, we then received a bill for 200€ from Movistar, with whom we have no connection at all (the bill did not detail the work or service charged and I was unable to discover why we were sent it) - they are gangsters (take, for another example the "Fibreoptic Broadband" which isn´t fiberoptic at all but a co-axial connection).
3. We don´t actually need a fixed telephone line anymore (thanks to mobile signals) - I get a perfectly use-able data signal from my mobile phone company (Lebara) but it has a limited data cap.
I am, under European law, entitled to a choice of Service Provider so I am simply looking for some technology (eg. wimax, radiofibre, satellite) that provides 5-10Mb download bandwidth but which does not tie me into any contract with Telefónica/Movistar with whom I have no trust.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Just to redress the balance, we have been with Telefonica/Movistar since the mid 1980s. The odd problem that we have had has been quickly resolved and when we moved to our rural property they ran a telephone line to us over nearly a half a kilometre from the existing point at no charge.

I consider that the price we pay for a frequently used landline with free calls, slow but reliable ADSL, two mobiles (one with unlimited calls and data) and basic Movistar plus is very reasonable.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 pm

hangoverocks wrote: 1. they are gangsters (take, for another example the "Fibreoptic Broadband" which isn´t fiberoptic at all but a co-axial connection).
Mine and everyone who I know that has Movistar Fibre installed most definitely HAS fibre optic cabling from exchange through into their Movistar Router. NOT Co-Ax