Different download speeds on different laptops

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Nerjaboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Different download speeds on different laptops

Postby Nerjaboy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 am

I have Telefonica internet and generally get between 5 & 6MBS download speeds.

This stays the same all the time for a very old Dell laptop using a very old windows version and a moto G android. But when bring out new laptops using windows 10 they work great a few weeks, then slow down to between 1 & 3 mbs but the others still over over 5mbs.

Telefonica support has been excellent and sent an engineer within 3 hours who checked everything and said all ok. His speed check also came up with just over 5mbs download speed.

Have tried two laptops of different makes and model but same problem.Has anyone else experienced this problem with new laptops on windows 10 using Telefonica internet and router?

Many thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Different download speeds on different laptops

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi Nerjaboy,
So where are you at the moment............... :?:

Do you shut the systems down every night or Hibernate.......... :?:

Does a reboot clear the problem......... :?:

When the "new" Win 10 Laptop goes slow can you plug in an Ethernet cable from the Router to it and Check the speed......... :?:

As you're probably the only Member with this particular problem (to keep Sid happy) can you please PM the Make and Model of the "New" Win 10 laptops also the Version of Windows 10 i.e. 1703 1709

And from Device manager the Network adapters.............the Wireless one

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Nerjaboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Different download speeds on different laptops

Postby Nerjaboy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 am

Enrique

Thanks for your reply.
The answer to your first questions is yes.

The Telefonica engineer was excellent and did a lot to help. He went away saying when he got to the exchange he was going to do something. A few hours later all seems ok now. Excepted he couldn't understand why two devices ok and the new one not (on both occasions he came to the house) but has left me the local number to call and they will do the same if it happens again.

I will just have to take as being one of those things although seems to happen after I get a call asking if I want to switch to fibre Optic, which I cant have because the conduit under the garden is blocked.

Again thanks for your reply