Strange samsung smartphone battery issue

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Strange samsung smartphone battery issue

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 am

This has only happened once last night and it charges ok now with no issues so im hoping the phone was just having a moment but it was rather odd and im wondering if any of you techie people out there could point me to the direction of what it was.

Last night i was using google street view heavily on my phone.after i had finished i turned my phone off which was at around 45% charge and plugged in the charger.the green battery came up on the screen but it seemed very low for 45% so i turned the phone back on. At that point it showed only 9%! It continued to charge ok upto around 30% inbetween that i turned it off and on a few times to make sure the battery didnt drop again which it didnt. At the time i started to charge the phone and upto 30% it was plugged into a double socket with a leccy fire on in the socket next to it. The sockets arent very good sometimes making a crackle when you plug things in etc. And im not a fan of having lots of things going due to surges or cut outs.

Im wondering if some sort of surge caused the battery issue?? As later i unplugged the fire and later after that once the phone was at 30% i unplugged it and plugged it into the socket where i normally charge it (where the fire had been plugged in) then the green battery on the off screen came on and went straight upto around 65% which it should have been if it had charged normally from the start when i first turned it off!! It was very odd. Its charged fine this morn with no issues but does anyone have an idea as to why this happened or has anyone else had this happen.

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Strange samsung smartphone battery issue

Postby northandsouth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 am

Which model is it? Is the battery removable?
Some years back I had a Samsung S3 and that had a similar battery issue to yours, the phone was about 3 years old, I took the battery out and it had deformed slightly. On a flat surface you could spin the battery around, the battery should be dead flat in profile.
I bought a new battery quite cheap online and that cured the problem. The phone is still in use today my wife loves it.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 am

Update! My phone was at 85% i turned it off plugged in the charger turned it back on and it said around 75% so is this a battery issue or something else. It is charging fine though.

Got an old samsung tab3 that used to drop hugely inbetween turning on and off but after clearing the tab it worked ok but takes foever to charge.hope this isnt going the same although its still under warrenty as ive only had it 2.4 years

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am

Its a galaxy grand prime. Yes i can take the battery out.read about spinning the battery it looks like normal but ill take it out and do the spin test

On the front of the battery there is a little raised up square top left is that normal part of the design?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 am

Ok ive taken the battery out and its perfectly flat so no issue there. Put the battery back in turned the phone back on and its back upto 85% again on the screen when as i said above it dropped to 75. Very strange. Any ideas?

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 am

There are a few battery calibration apps you can test at the Playstore which can improve the performance of the battery. I have no idea how they work and some experts claim they are total bogus but I had some serious battery problems with my phone and after having run them it went back to normal.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Have you seen this, does yours get warm at all? Apps running in the background maybe?

https://www.orduh.com/samsung-galaxy-gr ... ating-fix/

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Yeah i saw that north when i did a quick google. It doesnt get overly warm. I had an issue with background apps a month or two back using data so i changed the settings on that and theres no prob there

Theres alot on google about phones dropping battery when its turned off but its very strange then that when i put it into another plug and took the battery out as i said above the battery % went back to what it should have been. I guess aslong as its charging properly and it isnt dropping when its actually on which it isnt then i guess its just annoying more than an actual problem at this stage.

Do phone shops sell batteries or is it a case of looking online

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Shops do sell them but Amazon is probably your best bet. Battery performance does fade over time so if it's affordable it's a good idea to replace it. I keep a spare charged battery to hand, useful when travelling around.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks. Its been fine during the day when on. Charges ok and doesnt lose battery life when on. I have noticed it tends to lose a bit of life overnight when turned off. If i charge it to 95 then in the morn it maybe around 85 but tbh i think its been doing this for a while as i noticed a while back the green charge seemed a little lower when i started charging it but i didnt take much notice but its not something you would really notice unless you physically check the levels before and after you start charging.

I guess i will just keep it charged upto a decent amount as the huge drop happened when it went below 45% it seems to lose more the lower the battery level is when i go to charge it. Google brings up loads of similiar issues but its working out whether its a battery or hardware issue but aslong as it keeps charging ok and is fine when on then i guess its just a case of keeping an eye on it.