Pay as you go

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
brightonion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pay as you go

Postby brightonion » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:32 am

Does anyone know where I can buy a pay as you go phone card for using in Spain to England? Antequera area. Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pay as you go

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 am

Do you mean with free calls?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 pm

I think most of the big phone companies have a PAYG phone option - we are with Orange on that tariff. There are no restrictions to phoning or texting abroad but the charges are high which is why we don't use it! (Now that Virgin UK have upped their call and text charges and have a fair policy usage, we cannot rely on that either so are looking for a cheaper way to make phone calls.)

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:29 pm

If you have a wi-fi signal, use WhatsApp - free

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Not quite sure what the O.P means. Buy a sim card in spain to use in the U.K?

Most sim only month to month contracts are probably just as cheap if not cheaper than p.a.y.g unless you make very few calls. Many have calling overseas tarrifs

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Stevemul wrote:If you have a wi-fi signal, use WhatsApp - free
The people we are phoning in the UK don't have internet otherwise we'd be Whatsapping them. I do sometimes use Skype which is cheap but it doesn't always work very well and either cuts out or has long delays.
elusive wrote:Not quite sure what the O.P means. Buy a sim card in spain to use in the U.K?
I understood it as buying a mobile here in order to make calls to the UK.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Phoning the UK from a mobile is a very expensive way of calling. I use Skype to phone UK landlines on a sort of PAYG basis getting credit through Apple store. The rest of the time I use Watsapp, Facebook Messenger or if possible Apple FaceTime.

It might be worth looking at Lebara as a cheaper option to call the UK from Spain. Calls are around 20 cents per minute where as they can be as much as 80 cents for the first minute with one of the more established companies due to the connection charge, especially annoying if you get a answering machine.
This is why many people now switch off their answering machine to avoid family and friends paying the rip off prices

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am

Hits mobile have a few deals at the mo

brightonion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brightonion » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 am

Didn't explain myself very well, sorry, I should have said a prepaid phone card, probable had a senior moment, I have a Movistar contract but do not pay the extra for UK calls as I make very few. The shop that I previously used has stopped selling them.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm

I use Localphone to make calls to the UK. You upload a minimum of €5 credit and get a Madrid 911 landline telephone number for each UK number (Spanish landline numbers are included in my contract) or you can use a generic 911 number before dialling +44 etc. You then pay €0,005 (half a centímo) per minute for a call to a UK landline and €0,018 (one point eight centímos) to a UK mobile (All plus VAT). There is no minimum usage. I go for months without using it and the credit just stays there and does not expire.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Dont know how much you use your mob or what you pay with moviestar but have you thought about going with someone else so you can get a full package .for eg hits mobile do 100 mins to spanish mob landline and international calls and 3gb of data for under ten euros a month.on a month to month contract

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I concur with elusive on this. When we lived in Spain we had pay monthly deals with hitsmobile with inclusive international calls, handy for me as I had several clients who, when they were in Spain, had UK and other country based mobiles, and I could call these included in the package.
Of course we used whatsapp, messenger etc but not all of our clients used those so it worked well for us calling their mobiles.

And being pay monthly you can opt out whenever you wish.

brightonion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brightonion » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice Beachcomber, I have signed up with localphone. They seem to be just what I am looking for.