ANDROID BOXES

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

ANDROID BOXES

Postby patricia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Which Android box is the best to purchase for use in Spain. I have got TV from a small satellite dish but I was thinking that I would also get an android. I know this has been covered before some time ago, but I cannot find the thread and also by now I should imagine things have moved on a bit! :?: :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: ANDROID BOXES

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Amazon fire with Kodi

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 pm

I looked at Amazon and they had a good deal on an Android box with Kodi, so thanks for that! :thumbup:

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 pm

I think Costa Kid means an amazon fire tv stick ?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Are they the best. What is the difference! :problem:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 am

It depends what you are going to use it for. If you just want Kodi, then a Fire Stick will do the job and as it is a Android based gadget, it's possible to install Android apps. If you watch UK catch up, Now TV boxes are really cheap. Both have their own remotes making them easier to control.

Getting UK APPS onto Android is not straight forward either.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 am

northandsouth wrote:I think Costa Kid means an amazon fire tv stick ?
Fire tv box or stick are much of a muchness. Both very easy to use and as you set them up you get a choice of UK apps for news etc. Setting kodi up is not too bad either.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am

But where do you buy them. I have looked at Amazon and they do not post them to Spain! :problem:

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:52 am

Mini M8 X. I have had this box for over two years, loaded it myself. Kodi, Terrarium and all the usual apps, BBC iplayer, Netflix, You Tube. Get more than enough to watch and really easy to use. If you want something sophisticated and Techie Im sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:18 am

patricia wrote:But where do you buy them. I have looked at Amazon and they do not post them to Spain! :problem:
Buy one from Amazon Spain.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 am

I didnt think they would work for UK tv but obviously the do! :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am

Evelyn wrote:Mini M8 X. I have had this box for over two years, loaded it myself. Kodi, Terrarium and all the usual apps, BBC iplayer, Netflix, You Tube. Get more than enough to watch and really easy to use. If you want something sophisticated and Techie Im sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. Good Luck.
Thank you Evelyn that sounds great. I do not want something too techie! I would have to have Enrique on line full time! :P

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:41 am

Evelyn wrote:Mini M8 X. I have had this box for over two years, loaded it myself. Kodi, Terrarium and all the usual apps, BBC iplayer, Netflix, You Tube. Get more than enough to watch and really easy to use. If you want something sophisticated and Techie Im sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. Good Luck.
Hello Evelyn. I googled that and nothing came up except cables. Is that its full name!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 am

Patricia be careful,
The Andriod boxes are not the most simple to use for UK apps and one really downside for the one I bought is the remote. I have to use an air mouse, which is nowhere near as convenient as a normal remote. It might be different now but make sure you check this first.

The most popular of these boxes in the UK is the Amazon Fire Stick especially if you want Kodi as it is so easy to use. For us in the Spain, it also has the TV Player app, for Live TV as well as Amazon Prime and Netflix. You should be able to buy one with Kodi already set up from someone who will ship to Spain.

As I said before, If you just want a something to watch the normal Catch up TV as well as good quality picture live for the BBC and ITV and you don't mind not having kodi etc. A now TV box is the most simple to use and set up. These can definately be shipped to Spain.

Remember, No matter which one you chose, for UK TV you will need some sort of VPN or Smart DNS server unless you subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:23 am

Patricia, if you look on Amazon.co.uk. Type in Mini MX8 Android Box. SAWPY X96. You will see it is partially loaded. You can install Terrarium which is like Netflix but I think better. It ia also free. For UK tv I personally use Filmon.(which I find adequate with everything else I have + I get 11 hours recording. Also easy to use. I bought an ait mouse because I didnt like the handset that came with the box. The MINIX also available on Amazon. Each to their own what suits one doesnt suit all. I am not techie at all, self taught to a certain extent but still managed with assistance to do things myself now.. good luck

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:32 am

I did think that they may be a bit difficult to set up! I shall have to have a think on that one. I do not really know what Kodi is!

Hello Evelyn I have used filmon but I do not like it that much, it does not give me a very good picture at all.

I do have a small dish and can pick up BBC and itv as well as channel 4, but my problem is that I need subtitles as I am getting a bit mutton and jeff in my old age and although I catch most of it, it depends on the persons voice and I think that you can install subtitles now!

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:52 am

Patricia, my old man just turns the volume up! With Kodi you can get subtitles also with Terrarium. Are you on FB? Quite a few sites with very helpful people.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:14 am

It doesnt help turning the volume up, however if Kodi do subtitles then I will go for that one!

I am on facebook, which sites are those Evelyn.

Thanks for all your help :thumbup:

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Kodi and Android help and discussion Group. Will give you assistance setting up. Say you are a complete novice. Or Terrarium tv Forum.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:48 pm

:thumbup: