Setting up Smarty VPN

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Setting up Smarty VPN

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I seem to be having a mental block about this. I set up the DNS in my router without any problems but now that there are so many problems with the BBC their site suggest setting up the VPN using the UK London details.

When I go into their tutorial I go through the stages and click on Win10 under "how to set up VPN on Windows", but then there is a drop down list of things that mean nothing to me .... SSTP, IKEv2, OpenVPN etc. I'm sure when I used a VPN before I just manually input details into the computer but I don't know where to start now. I want to set up the VPN in my laptop so I can cast to the TV and download programmes if necessary.

I did once try the OpenVPN option on the list mentioned above, but I got completely lost and had to enroll Enrique's help to get out of it :oops: . It seemed to be a much more complicated program to be installed whereas I thought I just needed to input info somewhere in my system.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Setting up Smarty VPN

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi Wicksey,
Is that the SmartyDNS VPN option............. :?:

OK.....you need the OpenVPN ....use the links in the tutorial

If you really get stuck please startup Teamviewer and give me a shout.................
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Yes it is the VPNs in SmartyDNS website. It was OpenVPN I tried then messed up my computer .... it seemed to be quite complicated. You helped me back up and restore to get rid of it!

I'll have another look at the tutorial and see if I can follow it better this time.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 pm

Ha .... I didn't spot the SmartyDNSApplication notice on the OpenVPN page which made it much easier to download .... doh. I had been struggling to go through all their step by step instructions before. Much easier this time and all up and running!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm

I’ve just set Up the Smarty Dns app on my Fire TV.
Iplayer and all other tv apps working this way.
This must be just about the easiest way to set up UK TV on a big screen.
No need to play with the router.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:47 pm

I think the only way I can use my Smart TV apps such as BBCiPlayer, CH4 etc is by putting the DNS into the router which was quite easy. It means that my PC and laptop also benefit from the DNS but I've had to install the VPN in order to get the BBC to work as Smarty keeps being blocked. I don't have any other sort of Firestick etc but just use the Smart TV for catchup and the Intelsat for live TV.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:56 pm

markwilding wrote:I’ve just set Up the Smarty Dns app on my Fire TV.
Iplayer and all other tv apps working this way.
This must be just about the easiest way to set up UK TV on a big screen.
No need to play with the router.
Totally agree, works a treat and very user friendly, got it on Fire tv and on Firestick (warning doesn't work on first generation Firesticks if anybody is still using one)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:00 pm

I have temporarily changed to Unblock US on a monthly basis until Smarty fix it. Unblock US have a 7 day trial but it’s only $4.99 a month which is similar to Smarty and, more important, it seems to work OK with iPlayer.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Hello!

So, if smarty dns is plumbed into my router and I have downloaded open vpn onto laptop, how do yo make it work? do you have turn off smarty?
Can you only use it on the laptop?

Cheers folks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Unicorn,
You will just be using the VPN from the laptop, follower the procedure from the site and chose a UK sever when you connect.

If you get into a tizz give me a shout.............. :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:50 am

Unicorn wrote:Hello!

So, if smarty dns is plumbed into my router and I have downloaded open vpn onto laptop, how do yo make it work? do you have turn off smarty?
Can you only use it on the laptop?

Cheers folks
There is a separate icon on the desktop for the SmartyVPN on my laptop, and through that you can turn the VPN on and off as you need it. You don't have to touch the DNS and that remains active in my router.

For me, I wanted the option to download and save BBC programmes on my laptop to watch later, hence the need for a general VPN in the system rather than just using something like Browsec VPN extension on Chrome. My TV has a casting app on it so I can cast the laptop to the TV if I want to watch it on the big screen. I don't think you can put the VPN into a router, but if I wanted I could also download it onto my PC.

If there continues to be a problem with Smarty and the BBC then I may follow others advice on here and try an additional provider.