European portable digital content.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

European portable digital content.

Postby suzyq » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm

As many will realise that recent e.u. legislation allows customers to watch paid for digital content throughout e.u. There are restrictions as it relates to use when travelling or on holiday in a member state provided content is paid for in home country. Primarily this relates to Netflix, sky and Amazon tv., terrestrial uk channels have somehow interpreted the r egulation as not applying to them. I have smart dns proxy which works fine ,but interestingly ( to me at least ) Amazon prime would not play and indicated a geographical restriction on content. After getting thru to an Amazon centre in south Africa the call centre indicated I was in the USA ! They then suggested I might be using a vpn or dns but if I switched it off I could receive all uk Amazon prime tv. I checked this out on a kindle fire on a non dns router and it worked. For the small amount of time I might watch Amazon I am reluctant to interfere with my main router. Is there a simple way to turn of the dns without causing havoc with normal access to BBC etc.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: European portable digital content.

Postby firsttango » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Nope there is not.....but do you have your SMART DNS Region Set to where Your Amazon Account is registered?? Its located in "my account" under Region settings....in other words if your Amazon account is .co.uk then set Amazon Prime region to U.K but remember to restart your device inc router

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks . Amazon prime is uk account ,we live in uk and use devices registered in uk when in Spain ( holidays ) . I have just renewed my smart dns and had to input details into my secondary router - it worked ! But a bit if trepidation before it came back on. So I think I will leave well alone.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:03 pm

suzyq wrote:terrestrial uk channels have somehow interpreted the regulation as not applying to them.
Well you answered why they do not apply in your post
suzyq wrote:paid for digital content
The "terrestrial channels" are not subscription based, so are not included in the legislation.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:31 pm

As far as I know I pay a significant licence cost for BBC , and indirect advertising cost for other channels

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 am

A UK TV licence is required to watch ANY live TV in the UK.
Not BBC channels only.
And is not a TV subscription. (more a tax on TV reception equipment
So not included in the legislation.
And indirect advertising is also not subscription, so again not included in the legislation.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it