Windows 10 1803 Update

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 10 1803 Update

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:55 am

Hi Gasman,
It takes time.........go and do some gardening........

On two of my smaller systems (Acer laptops) it took many hours, just left them overnight.

The one that surprised me was the HP laptop I did using Teamviewer over in USA.............it just worked......... :D

My beast of a PC took 20 mins........... :!: :!:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:59 am

Now jumped to 66 - so over half an hour for those 2% - wierd. Still got things crossed in anticipation of a further leap soon .... Patio is done now, off to trim some hedges....

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:49 pm

Finally got to 100 per cent at 3.40, paused for a while then put up a big blue notice inviting me to agree to re-start, and also saying that it was a bigger update than usual, so to expect it to take a while .... We now have the Restarting with the whirly white dots circulating - all good so far! Still got fingers crossed though. AND hoping that all is well when it re-starts.
Cheers for now - Mrs G.
Gasman was last seen heading down the garden again after lunch !

As I was about to press Submit for this, the screen has now changed to configuring for Windows 10 and not to turn off the computer - as if ...

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Some time has passed, and at just before 7 pm the installation was completed, didnt need more than the initial restart, and all seems to be working OK. Checked the Winver and it is indeed now 1803 OS build 17134.137.
I have done the various inputs it requested, and that took nearly an hour, had a bit of a hiccough with password to the microsoft account, but that is now sorted and I have put a PIN in too ... not sure I am ever going to use anything Microsoft are offering apart from the added security. Anyway all seems good at present. I will shut it down and give the poor dear a rest, and save on my wifi. Hope it still works fine when I reboot later.
Thanks Enrique for taking the time to nurse me through the traumas - why dont Microsoft just issue updates of a size that are copeable with, instead of an unwieldy thing like this nightmare ...
Cheers then (Gasman has emerged from hiding by the pool and will take the reins at the Forum once more ...)
Mrs Gasman

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:26 pm

It’s ridiculous that an OS update should take that long. Microsoft have lost the plot. They are forcing upgrades on customers who do not want them and do not need them.

What ever happened to choice?

Sid