External WD Hard Drive is not recognised. Please Help!!!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

Re: External WD Hard Drive is not recognised. Please Help!!!

Postby john the baptist » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:00 pm

this forum for me is a life line. Its every day issues but caters specifically for expats here on the CDS. For me because of the heat and power cuts and power surges means that most electrical devices die very very prematurely.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: External WD Hard Drive is not recognised. Please Help!!!

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:11 am

Hi JdeB,
You don't need a Windows 7 key..............you upgraded to Windows 10.

To find out what disk is required, type Device Manager in the search box, look in Disk drivers
It will show the Make and model of current disk. As you say its 320GB then a 500GB disk would be a good upgrade.
Google your laptop make and model and see if there are any issues replacing it with larger drive.

Get someone/computer shop to Format your USB backup disk so it only has one Partition.
Buy a 9GB USB memory stick/called Pen Drive in Spanish shops.
Use Windows 10 backup to do a system backup.........if it works make two copies.
Create on the USB pen drive a Windows 10 backup Bootable Recovery.
Replace the laptop disk, boot the pen drive with the backup disk attached, Restore the Image, the new drive will contain you system as it is now.
Using create and format hard disk partitions, extend volume to be able to use the full 500GB disk if that is the one you replaced .

You've been faffing around for nearly a month and not moved this forward, you could loose the lot if the current disk fails. Do it Today !!
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.