Google won't launch on Android phone

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Gasman
Resident

Google won't launch on Android phone

Postby Gasman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:08 pm

This is probably for Enrique, our IT guru, but any advice would be gratefully received.
I have been used to opening up the colourful G for Google on my android phone to skim down the news items, rather than to do a Google Search as such. (I use Chrome quite merrily for web searches - and have no problems with Chrome.)
However for a couple of weeks now, first the G would load but then freeze, and now it seems to try to launch but immediately disappears and I am back to the home screen. Nor will it launch from the little rectangular Google Search at the top of my Home Screen. It will not launch from the Play Store, from the Apps in Settings, nor from the icon on the Home Screen ...

My OH has a very similar Vodafone phone, we have different gmails, and she has no problem on her phone with the G for Google, both on her gmail account, and even trying via my gmail account. So why won't it work in my phone - it would seem to be a problem in my phone rather than access via account setting etc.

Various disabling, clearing of data and cache, turning off and on have had absolutely no effect. However the one thing we have noticed is that the App screen for Google is slightly different in the two phones - OH's only has <Launch by default - no defaults set - and a grey "Clear Defaults" button>
Where in mine it has that, and then beneath is ALSO <Launch Application - Launch the application by main activity> with a button to click "LAUNCH". If you click on the LAUNCH button the "Clear Defaults" button above becomes active - however no amount of clicking on either of these does anything to actually launch the thing ... HELP!

We do not understand the Main Activity bit, and certainly have not inserted it ourselves - why should it appear in one phone and not the other, while using the same account to open the app info? Do we need to get rid of it, and if so, HOW?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Google won't launch on Android phone

Postby Enrique » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am

Hi Gasman,
I've a similar setup as your OH...........tap on "G" and it shows news

The versions I'm using

"G" 8.20.13.21 arm

Android 7.0

Check the versions of above on your Android and Post back.

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Yes Enrique - we both have the same version as you and both are updated as available.
Mine just won't load it - its not as if it freezes in action, it just will not launch! It brings up the Google page for half a second and then it disappears! and I am back to the Home Screen.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Have you tried uninstalling it then reinstalling

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi,
"Have you tried uninstalling it then reinstalling"..............as it's (Google) a system App that's not an option............. :(

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:40 pm

But, yes, had disabled it, cleared updates, cleared data, cleared cache, and then enabled, and allowed new update - so it is as refreshed as I can get it ...

No-one know or met this problem? Am I the only one?
Factory re-set springs to mind, but I really do not want to go down that route - nightmare to get everything back in and working, when all I want the Google for is my News feed and ease of access to a Search when I want it. I can do Search on the Chrome which works quite well, so it truly is not life and death to get Google back, I just would prefer to have it and wonder what I have done to the phone to deserve this problem! Everything else seems quite happy!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi Gasman,
Have you shutdown the phone and powered up restart....... :?:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 am

Allows me to uninstall updates etc. But i see the O.P has tried that

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 am

Have you tried wiping the cache partition from the boot menu?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 am

Hi Gasman,

When you uninstalled the "G" Updates and get back to Version 7.17.38.21 arm, did you see if that worked before rolling the updates back on :?:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Enrique - Hi Gasman,
Have you shutdown the phone and powered up restart..

Yep, did that after disabling, before re-enabling, after re-enabling and before updating.

Enrique - Hi Gasman,
When you uninstalled the "G" Updates and get back to Version 7.17.38.21 arm, did you see if that worked before rolling the updates back on

Not sure about that - a bit wary of trying anything before doing update in case of security problems which might (in my un-IT-tech mind) occur?
Also not sure of the version in between disabling and updates as the version seems to be 8.20.13.21 arm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUESS WHAT ???? I just tried it again, first on Wifi (at home so as usual) and then on the Vodafone H+ (very rarely get 4G out here in the sticks) and the ruddy thing worked !!!!! So it now opens first time, and stays on, with the rectangular white mini-window on the home screen, and via the PlayStore white spot ... Incidentally it still shows the extra bit about Launch Application by Main Activity line, which does not appear in Mrs G's phone, but I am not touching that ...
I will never understand how after all this time, and frustration, and fiddling about with the App, it has suddenly come back to life! I see on the Apps updates that it had just updated, again, while it was on wifi, on automatic updates, so perhaps it has picked up a correction in the update?

Thanks anyway to all concerned - I just hope I am alone in this and no-one else has to suffer the problem. Off to read a couple of articles in the News Feed !!
Cheers!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Dont you love technology! Sounds like the update cleared a bug in the app

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:crazy: :clap: :oops: