Downloading UK TV and playback on TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Downloading UK TV and playback on TV

Postby olive » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am

I am still struggling with this. We have limited Internet each month (but crucially unlimited during the night) so streaming programmes isn't an option. A plus is it has a UK Ip address - rightly or wrongly.

BBC iplayer works brilliantly. Download to either a Win10 laptop and play back on (smart) TV using an HDMI lead or using an Ipad and the 50 euro lightning adapter to HDMI gizmo.

We are subscribed to ITV hub , no ads and also have All4. ITV hub doesn't work with either. All4 works sound only, no picture so useless. Tried an iphone6 with same result - sound only no picture.

A few years back All4 did work and we made extensive use of the world drama section. However it stopped working - presumably something that the content provider has done. Interestingly it stopped working in stages. i.e. for a while ads played then there must be a marker for start of programme as at that point the picture went just leaving sound.

We have an Apple TV which again worked fine a few years back but "Airplay and mirroring" not supported by the providers. I read that 4th and 5th generation Apple TV's do work but best part of 200 euros is a lot to shell out only to find perhaps that it doesn't. Similarly Android devices might work.

So my questions centre around :

Does anyone else manage to down load programmes and play them back on a TV screen later? If so how?

Any suggestions for a way forward? I don't mind shelling out money on hardware if it will do the job.

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Downloading UK TV and playback on TV

Postby northandsouth » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 am

Sending you a pm

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:57 am

I think you will always have difficulty while you have limited download. For ITV with Apple TV, you need the 4th generation to be able to mirror or use airplay.

Another way might be to use the old torrent system Basically, download programming to your computer via a program like Bit torrent and then watch via HDMI with your computer or transfer to a pen drive if you TV has USB connections.

The problems are twofold. First, you have to be careful you don't download a virus so make sure you are using a good anti-virus and secondly, legally it's questionable, although downloading and using Bit Torrent isn't. You might also find certain sights are blocked.

If you google something like best torrents sites, you will find loads of info to help you.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:07 am

Another PM sent.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks for the pm’s :thumbup: