BBC Sounds App for Android

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Chunky Monky
Resident

BBC Sounds App for Android

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 am

I am trying to download a/m app onto my Samsung S7 phone. As you will see I am getting the warning about the app not being 'available in your country'

I have pressed Clear Cache and Clear Data in the Google Play Store settings. I set the Smarty VPN to point at London but I still get the not available message.

I'm wondering if anybody else has managed to download this BBC app?
Attachments
From Google Play Store
From Google Play Store

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC Sounds App for Android

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 am

Have you tried using a VPN? Then if you resign in to Google play, it should go to the UK version.
Apart from this, you could google it and download and install it manually from a third party site.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:16 am

As I said, I used Smarty VPN set to UK, London.

It looks as though I may have to download an apk from some site. I'm a wary of doing this as I don't want to download any malware. I'll have to do a bit of Googling to see if I can find a safe site. Thanks Mark.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:29 am

Good morning Chunky Monky,
I've just downloaded BBC Sounds on my Android 7.0 Bq Aquaris-A4.5 Phone ....... in Spain , no VPN or Smarty anything loaded............ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 am

Does your Google account have a Spanish address?
Using a VPN makes no difference as Google sees you as living in Spain where the BBC app isn't available.
Set up another Google account with a UK address, if you don't have a UK address then use your old UK address or someone else's.
Sign in to Google Play with your UK account and then you can download the BBC app.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Gerry, I set up a new Google account but it did not ask me to give a UK address, although I gave a UK mobile phone number. This worked as they sent a verification number to it. I used my VPN set to UK to be on the safe side.

I can't work out how to log out of the Spanish Google Play Store so I can log in with the new Google account. I've already logged out of the original Google account but it still shows up in GPStore.

What's the secret?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm

I downloaded the APK from APKfollow. I ran it through several security checks before installing both on my PC and my phone it and it showed clear. It is 32mb which is exactly the same size as the app on the Google Play Store and is the latest one which was released on 5th November.

Since installing it I have run a complete scan on the phone with no nasties showing up.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Beachcomber, I downloaded an apk from apkmirror but it was an old version from June 2018. It loaded OK but because it wasn't the latest version, on opening the app, it went into update mode and then told me I was in the wrong country!
I'll try apkfollow and hopefully that will fix it - until the next update! Lol.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:28 pm

I downloaded BBC Sounds from apkfollow. It works fine. Thanks.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Yes, I did exactly the same. The APKfollow one is the latest and works perfectly. Well, as perfectly as one can expect any BBC app to work. Perhaps 'adequately' would be a better word to use.

Edit: We posted at exactly the same time. Glad you have got it working. The next update hopefully should work OK. The latest one is three times the size so it was probably a completely new app rather than just an update.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:35 pm

OK, I'll wait 'til it stops working and think about it again.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:
I can't work out how to log out of the Spanish Google Play Store so I can log in with the new Google account. I've already logged out of the original Google account but it still shows up in GPStore.

What's the secret?
No secret.
Using the desktop version, open Play store, click on the icon in the top RH corner, log out of your Spanish account and log into your UK account.
Using the mobile phone app, open Play store, click on the 3 horizontal lines in top LH corner and change your Goggle account.
Play store is a safer place from which to download apps, other sires can contain hacked versions which will install malware.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks Gerry, I'm doing everything through my phone at the moment and don't think to open sites as Desktops. Cheers.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 pm

There's no reason why you should open a site as a desktop if you are using an app on your phone.
Just follow what I wrote above on how to get "UK only" apps downloaded from Play Store via the app on your phone.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 am

FWIW you can have two accounts on one Android phone and just switch between them. I have one with UK address and one with Spanish, and by clicking on the little person silhouette I can alternate. Play Store content updates automatically to the extent that the same things display with either £ or € and audio on films in ENG or ESP. I have to alternate in order to download geo-restricted bank apps and have never needed to use a VPN.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

That is exactly what I do and that I why a suggested Chunky Monkey needs to do the same.
Also use the same technique with Amazon and my Kindle.
I have quite a few Google/ Gmail accounts.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:00 am

gerryh wrote:That is exactly what I do and that I why a suggested Chunky Monkey needs to do the same.
Also use the same technique with Amazon and my Kindle.
I have quite a few Google/ Gmail accounts.
Cheers
Gerry
Yes I see that now, sorry I missed it in the talk of desktop versions of the Play Store.

I seem to recall having problems with it when I moved from France but it sorted itself out over time.