Lost Orange mobile signal

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Lost Orange mobile signal

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am

I read in the paper the other week that after 18 years of wrangling, Orange have agreed to remove a mast on Torrox Costa/El Morche area. I don't know if it's a coincidence but we've come back from a week away to find we no longer have a phone signal at home. Someone visiting yesterday checked his phone and it also showed no service. We are in the campo above Torrox Costa but cannot see the pueblo or any of the main masts on the bigger hills in the area.

I have a Vodafone SIM but that has never worked in the house and I'm not sure who our UK SIM connects to but that signal is flaky too. My main phone is quite new and a new SIM (with my old number) was put into it so they shouldn't be faulty and it's worked fine up to now.

Orange deny there is any loss of signal in this area so I'm not sure what to do now. We don't usually phone out on these phones as at home I use VOIP or Whatsapp on wifi, but it means that we can no longer be contacted or receive texts from family who do not have the internet.

Is there such a thing as a mobile phone booster, although if there is no signal to boost I'm not sure what we are going to do.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Lost Orange mobile signal

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Have you tried getting a Movistar signal? Someone you know has probably got a Movistar phone which you could use to test it.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:29 pm

You can buy mobile signal boosters. Not sure of the cost in Spain but a friend is in Norfolk where the signal is terrible and they use them. Theres were fitted by the mobile company but they are expensive. They work on a type of balloon that goes up above any obstacle that is blocking the signal.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 pm

or if you have an iPhone go into settings, then mobile data then click network selection and see if it finds another supplier.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm

A booster sounds an expensive option!

I went into setting to manually connect to Orange (Orange help desk suggested that) but it confirms there's no signal here . I tried to connect to one of the other services that came up when I searched but it said my SIM card does not allow a connection to the other providers.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 am

Just received an email from Orange now acknowledging there is a problem here and that they are working on it. Friends were here at the weekend with phones with various mobile providers and none of them had a service, so not just Orange. Anyway I shall wait and see what happens!