fridge

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
wollie
Resident

fridge

Postby wollie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm

I notice on the fridge light the positive live is on the threaded side of the bulb.
I got a shock when changing the bulb as i had not unplugged fridge.
When i went to investigate i found the live on the threaded side and
the neutral at the back where the live usually is and in my opinion should be.
What's the view here?

gerrynag
Resident

Re: fridge

Postby gerrynag » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Well wouldn't surprise me. It's a bulb, so could be wired either way. You either have to switch off fridge or just be very careful removing the bulb to not touch the metal bulb holder.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Always unplug any electrical appliance before unscrewing any part of it.
Simples:
Assuming you live in Spain and your fridge has a Spanish plug, then unplug it, rotate the plug vertically through 180 deg and plug it back in. The threaded metal part of the bulb holder will now by neutral and not live.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Some POSITIVE answers here.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:12 pm

The socket is uk type, i was of the understanding that on any appliance that the live "only" must be switched and that the live power must the bulb from the back of the holder leaving the side threaded area for neutral return,
I actually thought this would be very strictly regulated from a health and safety point of view, it seems i may be misinformed.

Gerry your point about 2 pin interesting and because i assume most things these days produced for world market this may be allow tweek the rules that i thought were pretty well "set in stone" for light fittings.

I did get a shock when changing the bulb which is the reason for this, i had the technician look at it and he said this normal wiring, i also suggested doing what Gerry suggested, he said this would effect the thermostat but i think this is unlikely.

I was interested to know what the experts here would say. My work background is in this area so i was really surprised at this.

Many thanks....

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:34 pm

If the socket is a 13amp 3 pin UK type, then has the plug and socket been wired correctly?
But as I said earlier, if the appliance is plugged in then unplug it before doing any unscrewing.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 pm

wollie wrote:The socket is uk type, i was of the understanding that on any appliance that the live "only" must be switched and that the live power must the bulb from the back of the holder leaving the side threaded area for neutral return,
I actually thought this would be very strictly regulated from a health and safety point of view, it seems i may be misinformed.

Many thanks....
The bulb live may well go to the door switch, but that will not determine which terminal of the bulb will be the live side.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:11 pm

The live should NOT be on the thread. As has been discussed it could be the 3 pin plug is wired incorrectly, or if using an adaptor the polarity is reversed. Either way it makes it potentially more dangerous than having the live only to the centre of the base of the bulb.
If the brown wire in the plug is live is the thread live or the centre connector - don't test it with your fingers again. :)
Even in Spain, the protocol is to have the right hand side of the wall socket live, but you never know unless it's checked.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 am

woolie
You don't have your location set in your profile so not sure where in the world you live.
Assuming you live in Spain then your mains system should have a RCCD or an ELCB fitted.
Both these devices trip the mains supply if someone touches a live wire as you did when you got a shock.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 am

The makers of the fridge (hotpoint) have said it does not matter where the live is situated.
This house is pretty new and all wiring is in perfect as per standard.
Its a while since i got the shock so i cannot remember if it tripped.
It was only recently when i was changing a bulb i decided to check the polarity and discovered this.
Hotpoint say that the polarity does not matter and i do not agree with this, i get the impression
that they do not know or do not want to know.
My own personal opinion is that the manufacture is outsourced and this question was never raised before.
I am just curious as to what the regulation in this area is...

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:38 pm

I doubt very much if there is a specific requirement that the fridge light holder should have the thread on the neutral side.
Anyway, it is actually possible to get a shock from the neutral side of a circuit, depending on whether there is a load on the circuit and where the neutral is connected to ground. Electricity takes the shortest path to ground, which could be your body.
So to be safe, always switch off mains to appliance before doing changing an internal bulb or any other electrical work.
Also check your RCD on a regular basis, to make sure it is woking correctly.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Switching off the mains to the appliance is OK provided that it is a double pole switch or if it only a single pole switch then the switch switches off the live connection.
Often by dubious wiring the single pole switch is in the neutral line.
The safest way is to unplug the appliance.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes, that's true.