Alternative Messaging Apps

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alternative Messaging Apps

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Much as I loath Facebook I am not going to give up WhatsApp as so many people I communicate use it. Not just family and friends, but loads of Spanish tradespeople and restaurants use it.

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm

After consulting with family and friends, we've decided that multinational Internet companies like Facebook, Google, Microsoft pretty much own us and therefore resistance is futile, to quote the Borg.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:53 pm

A bit more information on this 'merger'.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahe ... hat-to-do/

Whatsapp is history on all of our mobiles and Facebook, Instagram etc never have been installed. If anyone wants to contact my wife or me they have to install a non-Facebook, non-Google alternative otherwise hard luck.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:45 pm

And you think that will be any better ?
I think with all the publicity there has been about Facebook selling data, etc, and how monitored and checked they now are, I think you would be far safer using Whatsapp then using some 3rd party app, that will not have the same level of regulation.
I am not on facebook or messenger, only on Whatsapp, so dont think their integration changes would affect me at all.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:52 pm

I see that Telegraph one of the alternatives suggested in the Forbes article has got a secuity issue with one of its features :!:
Really, if you want to be 100% safe from hacking, viruss and malware.....the only option is to get rid of all your phones, tablets and computers :lol:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm

If you dont add your mobile number to your f.book account then it has no connection to whatsapp etc anyway