I907 at 27.5 W

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
satandpcguy
Resident

I907 at 27.5 W

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:41 am

Just an update, as i know many of you down there use I907...

Intelsat has updated their "Estimated End Of Life" expectancy for I907 to Q1 2020.

IIRC the previous was Q4 2019.

Looking at the document, it looks like a few other Intelsat satellites are due to have their life extended by about 4 years with their "Mission Extension Vehicle / MEV", but I907 is not on that list.

No news at all about any replacements or launch dates yet, but this current satellite will no doubt be replaced, as SATBACK is NOT the only service on there!!!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: I907 at 27.5 W

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks for the update.
The important question for us users is will SATBACK be on the new satellite?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm

There is no reason to think otherwise. They could discontinue the service at any time. The fact that the satellite is being replaced is not their problem. They have contracted for a service and it is up to the satellite owners to provide it. When Sky has changed satellites in the past, the user is not even aware of it.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Yes but there are many official users who pay for the use of SKY but are there many official users of SATBACK? Do BBC etc really need SATBACK?
I hope they do and it continues and we can continue our unofficial use of the service.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:24 pm

El Cid wrote:There is no reason to think otherwise. They could discontinue the service at any time. The fact that the satellite is being replaced is not their problem. They have contracted for a service and it is up to the satellite owners to provide it. When Sky has changed satellites in the past, the user is not even aware of it.

Sid
The reason know one noticed the sat change with sky is because it was a proper paid service for most users. Only us illegal users in Spain had the problems.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:45 pm

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. As Satandpcguy pointed out, there are many other (more significant) users of the satellite, not least of which is Voice of America. They all have long term contracts with Intelsat and are not going to be affected in any way by a new satellite becoming operational.

If you want see who uses it look here. https://www.lyngsat.com/Intelsat-907.html

Sid

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:12 pm

I would seem somewhat safe to say that it will be replaced but the bigger question will be around whether they change the encryption used from BISS to an alternative. Will it also continue to use Ku Band ? There is also a real possibility that a replacement would use a more UK focused spot beam (as used these same channels on Astra 28.2E)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 pm

i907 is used by a tiny number of people in southern Spain. It is not an issue with the tv companies because, unlike Sky, they are no money issues and from the rights point of view it is encrypted. I could be proved wrong but I doubt that anything will change when the satellite is replaced. The biggest risk by far is the Freeview companies who use it for backup will decide that they don’t need the service for whatever reason.

Sid

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm

As I understand it, the satellite service is contracted by Arqiva. The system is in place to back up the Ground Links linking each of the main transmission stations in the UK so that, in the event of a a failure of any of these ground based links - hence the name Satback(up).

With IP and Leased Lines, it would now be very economic to lay 10Gb leased lines between base stations, even though we know the stations are on hilltops. Bandwidth via radio links has also massively increased over recent years. I am assuming the current main links are Coax.