Old Dell computer - disposal

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Gasman
Resident

Old Dell computer - disposal

Postby Gasman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello
I have an old Dell Inspiron laptop computer which still has Windows XP in it. I suppose a boffin could upgrade it with a new system, though it may be too old even for that .... AND its keyboard is failing with the central keys of the main character board not working, and several of the keys on the numberpad are also dead .... it does work nicely with an exterior keyboard. :lolno: It has a DVD/CD reader writer, but no HMDI capability to link with a TV for videos/films. Dates from 2004. :crazy:

Do I send it to the scrap yard? Can anyone possibly find a use for it - donate to charity (which), school, or other ...?
IMPORTANT - How do I easily ensure that all my old documents etc are wiped out before I send it to the recycling centre or charity ?

Thanks - as I have mentioned perhaps before on this Forum, I am not tech-savvy ! :oops: Keep it simple please !! :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Old Dell computer - disposal

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi Gasman,
For charity disposal .............

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-wipe-a- ... ve-2624527

for recycling................

Remove hdd and drill thru the disk.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:02 pm

I suspect with it's age and problems that no charity would take it, think you would be best following Enrique's 2nd option. 15 years old is pre-historic in computer terms. :shock:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks folks - going for the "drill a hole" job I reckon ...
Cheers

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:06 pm

We had a 2003 dell desktop before we moved out. It gave excellent service although expensive at the time. It was very therapeutic smashing it to bits before we moved out :angel:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:12 am

The hard drive is easy to find once you take the case off. Hit it with a hammer or as said drill it.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Those old Inspirons are well built. I've just recently admitted defeat on my ancient example after mother board failure.
It had been modernised to the max over the years, seen very heavy use and was a perfectly good lappy for general duties. Ran fast and well on win7.
I've tucked it away in case another, local to me, comes up with a good mobo.
They don't make 'em that no more....I really cannot see me getting that kind of lifespan out of its shoddily built replacement.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:31 pm

To EbnFlow - I am with you all the way on that ... since XP got the shove from Microsoft, it has been languishing in a corner, but with the keyboard half-knackered, the battery dead for several years now, and no direct link to use the DVD player onto the TV, it is just past its sell-by date !
It had some some hard work and travelled a lot when we were working in France and Spain, suffered a lot of abuse over the years, but did not fail in those active years!
Since then an Acer has outlived its usefulness, but is still updatable, and we are now on an Asus - hoping for long life on that one .... ha ha -!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 pm

A macbook pro will out live its owner LOL