Windows 10 - 1903

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
knowal
Resident

Windows 10 - 1903

Postby knowal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Just did this very major OS update and it took over 2.5 hours on my fairly rapid Acer Aspire laptop.
All my settings reset to Windows defaults as if they know best! Just about set up back how I want it now.

It told me it had to be done, as support for W10 April 2018 version will end in November.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 10 - 1903

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:50 am

Updated my 5 installs of WIN 10 Pro a couple of weeks ago.
All went smoothly.
Don't know how long they took as I didn't sit there watching them.
As far as I am aware, but haven't checked every single one, my settings are as I set them.
They did not get reset to Windows defaults.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for Posting on 1903..........a good experience for you this time.

Can you please give me the 1903 Build number............reason......

Some months ago I'd looked at the 1903 upgrade on a 1809 system and got every error code that MS could think of........ spent some days chasing the errors through and getting even more......Rolled back the Image Backup to 1809 .......On another system got the same results so downloaded the .ISO file and built the system up from scratch...........time is what I've plenty of........ :D
At the time I thought that I'd get plenty of support calls with this upgrade.......the reason for not, is the "Download and Install" option so the average user will not see this unless they look in Windows Update.

But now 1803 users will not have the option to delay.................

https://www.techspot.com/news/81005-mic ... rsion.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 pm

1903 Build number 18362.239
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks Gerry..........
That's the .ISO Build I downloaded and installed from scratch OK.

The one thing that 1903 does for me......... the Network Mapped drive from my NAS (Network-attached storage) server now load up at boot time whereas previous versions required manual intervention.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm

I've currently got 1809 on my laptop and did a minor update today and it says I am up to date. Is the big update 1903 rolled out all at once or is it done over time?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm

HI Wicksey,
You should see in the Settings -> Update and Security section "Feature update to Windows 10 version 1903" further down in the paragraph "Download and install now".............providing you don't click that you will remain on 1809 until Microsoft does a "Force" install near to end of support for that version.

https://support.microsoft.com/gl-es/hel ... fact-sheet

So basically 18 months from release date.

As an aside one of my 1803 systems has in "Feature update to Windows 10 version 1903"

"The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time"

Guess I'll just watch this space for now.............

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks Enrique. I've just checked and no sign of the new release but there is a number of updates relating to the 1809 version that I still have outstanding. I had put it onto metered connection to stop automatic updates and had only just switched it off. I understand that I need to update the current version first?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi Wicksey,
You will need to let the 1809 updates through as some relate to the way Windows 10 will handle future major releases . They also let you have more control on when to install future updates.............you can delay updates for up to 35 days .
As Posted before the six monthly Releases can be skipped until MS deem "must update" towards the Release end period.

So take off the Metered Connection.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm

OK thanks again, I'll do that.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi Enrique,

On my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 Pro I also see the 'your device isn't quite ready for it' message. I clicked on the 'learn more' button (not always very fruitful where Microsoft is concerned :wink: ) and it took me to a '1903 status' page* where it states the following:

Current status as of July 16, 2019:

We are initiating the Windows 10 May 2019 Update for customers with devices that are at or nearing end of service and have not yet updated their device. Keeping these devices both supported and receiving monthly updates is critical to device security and ecosystem health. Based on the large number of devices running the April 2018 Update, that will reach the end of 18 months of service on November 12, 2019, we are starting the update process now for Home and Pro editions to help ensure adequate time for a smooth update process.

Our update rollout process takes into consideration the scale and complexity of the Windows 10 ecosystem, with the many hardware, software, and app configuration options users have, to provide a seamless update experience for all users. We closely monitor update feedback to allow us to prioritize those devices likely to have a good update experience and quickly put safeguards on other devices while we address known issues. Windows 10 Home and Pro edition users will have the ability to pause the update for up to 35 days so they can choose a convenient time.

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is available for any user who manually selects “Check for updates” via Windows Update on a device that does not have a safeguard hold for issues already detected. If you are not offered the update, please check below for any known issues that may affect your device.

We recommend commercial customers running earlier versions of Windows 10 begin targeted deployments of Windows 10, version 1903 to validate that the apps, devices, and infrastructure used by their organizations work as expected with the new release and features.

So clearly they are once again having serious issues with a Win 10 update rollout. I just hope they get things sorted before it gets pushed to my laptop - I've had enough experience of being a Windows update guinea pig in the past, as I'm sure you have, too :mrgreen: .

*Page URL: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... ws-10-1903

The reason I ended up looking at the state of my laptop is that I'm still considering whether/when to update my desktop PC from Win 7 to Win 10. I really don't what that to go badly if/when I ever do go down that road.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Fed up with it all and have finally consigned the desktop to the basura. Just so tired with the Windows continued nonsense. Doubly annoying that when there's all these issues and seemingly continual updates that some people never ever have a problem....yet to actually meet one in the flesh mind lol.....off to the bin once taken a hammer to the HD and Ram strips. RANT OVER.......Fruit based in in one ordered
I So Bella tis you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:17 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:... seemingly continual updates that some people never ever have a problem....yet to actually meet one in the flesh mind lol.....
Where and when would you like to meet me? :wave:
I can honestly say I have not, as yet had a problem.
I usually update about 5 Win 10 Pro systems.
Also run Win XP and Win 7.
Sometimes on multi boot systems alongside Win 10.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:38 pm

gerryh wrote:
Paulinmalaga wrote:... seemingly continual updates that some people never ever have a problem....yet to actually meet one in the flesh mind lol.....
Where and when would you like to meet me? :wave:
I can honestly say I have not, as yet had a problem.
I usually update about 5 Win 10 Pro systems.
Also run Win XP and Win 7.
Sometimes on multi boot systems alongside Win 10.
Cheers
Gerry
Next you'll be telling me that you have a brood of hens that all have teeth :lol:
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Simple - I never let Microsoft upgrade my installation - so far at least.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Paulinmalaga,
Unless your failed upgrade to 1903 was due to something simple like lack of disk space...........

Download the Media Creation Tool so you can download the 1903 .ISO file

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Using Rufus USB creation tool get the .ISO file onto a Bootable USB stick

https://rufus.ie/

Boot system from the USB and do a Clean install

Any data you have on the old Build you can get back from your Image backup........... :D

So not all bad then............

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm

One thing I noticed, and even on my Dads pc in the UK, was that after the update, MS Antivirus / Security was disabled....so had to manually enable it..
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Paulinmalaga,
Unless your failed upgrade to 1903 was due to something simple like lack of disk space...........

Download the Media Creation Tool so you can download the 1903 .ISO file

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Using Rufus USB creation tool get the .ISO file onto a Bootable USB stick

https://rufus.ie/

Boot system from the USB and do a Clean install

Any data you have on the old Build you can get back from your Image backup........... :D

So not all bad then............
Thanks Enrique but too late, its now resting in a big basura bin awaiting tonights collection.....Certainly not a hardware issue as had a 1TB HD with about 700 GB free and 32gb Ram. As said just fed up with the whole Windows 10 experience over the last year or so (Win 7 was great back in the day). The only windows in future for me are the ones I'll be looking out of. All the fannying around as reflected in your above is just a pain. So my newly ordered fruit based all in one should arrive by Saturday and if it performs anything like my same brand laptop I'll be delighted.
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:07 am

I've updated all mine with no problems except my main one which is about to be relegated to a work one due to both its USB ports being broken, (Not enough hard drive space is the problem so I will clear some up space and update in the next couple of days) No USB ports is not a major problem because these days I save documents to the cloud and can access them on any gadget easily. After a couple of months deliberation, I have decided to go for another Windows computer.
I like Windows 10, especially as there will be no new version and from now on there will only be updates to 10. I think people who didn't upgrade from 7 will have the problem of unsupported software. I was seriously considering buying another MAC because these days my son uses the one we have and doesn't allow me near it but I like having a touch screen and this is the reason for my decision.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:26 am

Ive got 2 networked win 10 machines in the office. One has updated this morning, but the linked files / folders on the other machine now dont work, its asking for windows security network credentials...

Gonna be one of those days :lolno:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.