Copying contacts list in Outlook (not exporting)

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Copying contacts list in Outlook (not exporting)

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:29 am

I've Googled endlessly for a way to simply produce a paper copy of my contacts but on the latest version of Outlook it doesn't look like it can be done.

I run a separate email address for a social group and have 52 contacts. It doesn't matter what I try, I cannot print the whole list and I'm not spending hours and hours doing a few at a time. Another member of the organising team wants a copy of the list but I cannot do this, and even if I could, when I took this over I had a paper list of addresses but there was no way to add these in bulk by copying and pasting. Each contact has to be added individually as far as I can see.

I have set up a separate email account so that other people can access it if for any reason I cannot send out the necessary bulk emails each month. I think it would be easier to give her the password for future use if necessary :think:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Copying contacts list in Outlook (not exporting)

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:27 pm

I dont understand why you are against exporting them. Export the contacts as a CSV file and copy them into Word or any other text editor. You can print them from there.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi Wicksey,
I've sent you a PM
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:15 pm

El Cid wrote:I dont understand why you are against exporting them. Export the contacts as a CSV file and copy them into Word or any other text editor. You can print them from there.

Sid
I didn't think that I could open the csv file in word, and also thought that I may loose all the original contacts in the email account :oops:

Thanks for your PM Enrique :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Last edited by Enrique on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Exporting them is actually the same as copying and pasting them, but not in the usual text format. There are loads of programs that accept CSV files and a lot of utilities that will convert them to text files.

You cannot lose any files by exporting any more than you lose them by copying. Strictly speaking all you are doing is exporting a copy without affecting the originals.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks all. Managed to copy it into a spread sheet. I think when I tried before I tried it paste it to a text document which didn't seem to work.