Router

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
gina59
Resident

Router

Postby gina59 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 am

Hi, i need a new router and havnt a clue which one to buy, Apparently to run my firestick i need a 5.5 something or other. Dont mind spending upto about 80 euros. My internet connection is wimax and have a download speed of around 12mg. Thanks for any advise.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Router

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am

Hi gina59,

I've used TP-link equipment for may years on all my networks ............look at their range and pick one to suit your budget.

Go for a Dual Band .

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks Enrique I never had a clue.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Not that Enrique needs confirmation, but I'd second TP-Link for solid, reliable routers. Timing's awkward for you, as I'm in the UK until 19/08, but if you have no hurry I could save you the spends. I currently have this ZTE router lying in a drawer:
https://www.4gltemall.com/zte-mf283-4g- ... teway.html

which is a bit old but well capable of your d/l speed limit. I don't know what your "5.5" requirement is, nor if it's lacking something vital (any idea Enrique? I know nothing about TV sticks) but, if it does the job, you're welcome to it (freebie). Archidona's a pleasant excuse for taking my car out and I'd rather it saw use with a forum member than stay in a drawer until obsolete. (EDIT: I'm talking about the ZTE router, not my car. Don't want to disappoint you when I drive away still keeping the car :) )

I also have one of the TP-Links in Enrique's, er, link:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-network ... tl-wr841n/

but I don't know, yet, how much my ex-internet provider will want it back. I guess it'll be months before I can be sure about that but the ZTE is available once I'm back in a week. Let me know if that's not too much of a wait but, otherwise, TP-Link is a good make to go for.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 am

1bassleft wrote: Archidona's a pleasant excuse for taking my car out and I'd rather it saw use with a forum member than stay in a drawer until obsolete. (EDIT: I'm talking about the ZTE router, not my car. Don't want to disappoint you when I drive away still keeping the car :) )
A bit off track but there is a fantastic restaurant on the 8 side plaza and cafe central is also not too shabby.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 am

Wont your wifi provider supply a new one or are they wanting daft money for it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 am

Agree with elusive's post above.
Before you spend money on a new router it would, in my opinion, be a good idea asking whoever told you you need a new router to explain what they meant by "to run my firestick i need a 5.5 something or other".
I haven't a clue as to what they mean and it's possible they don't either.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Gerry. Thats really nice of you to offer me your router and would willingly accept. I have two firesticks one my daughter gave me which is really old . I downloaded expat vpn which didnt work. When i question this with expat they told me i needed a later firestick which i ordered. Set it up but all it done was buffered., a message came up on the screen saying i needed a 5.5ghx router not 2.2ghx which I have at the moment. I have gone back to the old firestick with no problems other then I cant use itvplayer or bbc player. My router a tp link is around ten years old.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally routers worked on the 2.4Ghz waveband but with so many devices using WiFi these days the waveband is getting crowded.
Routers working on the 2.4GHz and the "new" 5GHz waveband were introduced.
So any device that worked on the 5GHz waveband could use the less crowded 5GHz waveband.
Not sure if the latest firestick will only work on the 5GHz waveband and not the 2.4GHz waveband.
I've never had. or felt the need, for a firestick.
Have a read of https://www.kodifiretvstick.com/firestick-5ghz/ for advice on setting up a firestick to use the 5GHz waveband instead of the 2.4GHz waveband.
Be aware that 5GHz router have less range than 2.4GHz routers.
So your 5GHz router might need to be nearer your devices.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Firesticks work on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. And value for money is by far the best and most versatile device out there for all U.K TV Netflix, TV Player etc
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:45 pm

I have an Ethernet adapter for my Fire stick, bought from Amazon for around 16 euros, avoiding the need for WiFi.
I also have it plugged into the router in which the DNS settings cannot be changed and use the SmartyDNS VPN app when I want to watch UK TV on it.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:50 pm

markwilding wrote:I have an Ethernet adapter for my Fire stick, bought from Amazon for around 16 euros.
Likewise, but they are only compatible with the newer models 2017 onwards from memory
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:15 pm

I changed the DNS settings in the Firestick with no problem. No need for a VPN.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi Guys,
Clearly gina59 has been given duff info prior to Posting in this Thread.
As some of you use the Firestick full on.......please Post the best way to use with the Kit she currently has.

Like Dumping VPN and going for a Smart DNS service, and using her latest Version of Firestick to get unbuffered TV Viewing

Paul, Mark, El Cid......... :idea:

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Just another thing to clarify, Gina, are you getting a router from Gerry? The ZTE I have is 2.4/5Ghz according to the link I put in my post but I'd need to get it out of the drawer on return and check the model # matches exactly and isn't a lookie-likie because mine is definitely pre-2017. If Gerry's is suitable, then his would be a better bet than the holdup and uncertainty of my old router.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Certainly Gina isn't getting a router from me. I have a few spare ones but I never offered Gina one.
Or is there another Gerry?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Ah, Gerry, I think your post subsequent to mine clouded Gina's view and you got the credit (story of my life :) ). OK Gina, if it turns out that, subsequent to Mark, Cid, Paul's advice, you ought to try a new(er) router - I'm worth a try. In the meantime, I shall check mine after Monday's flight for spec and report back in.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Easiest option is to ditch the VPN and as Sid says use Smart DNS and install the new DNS settings direct into the Firestick settings as per instructions from https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/ reboot firestick and validate ip at Smartdns client area.....
I So Bella tis you

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Been back a few days and suddenly remembered to check my router lying unused in the drawer. It's a ZTE mf283, as I thought and included a link to previously. There's no mention of 5Ghz (plenty of lower frequency bands, perhaps showing its age) which seemed to be a requirement, Gina, so I'm afraid it offers no advance on what you have already.

My TP-Link (from former ISP who have given me the silent treatment after initially demanding its return) is also non-5Ghz. Sorry to bail out on both options.