What3words app

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
vinuela vinny
Resident

What3words app

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:19 am

We wondered if anyone had any experience of using the apparently worldwide What3words app in Spain, and whether anyone knows if any of the Spanish emergency services might be using it?

Info on the app is online at www.what3words.com, and so we’ll not repeat it here, and it is becoming increasingly popular in the UK, with the 999 responders now asking callers in remote locations if they have the app. Having a remote house in the campo 2k outside a small very rural village some 60k from Sevilla, one of our main worries has always been the emergency services finding us if it ever was necessary for them to do so, and this app would seem to help, if it were in common use out here......

We intend to talk to our local police, ambulance and bomberos as the opportunity arises later in the week, but thought that we would check on here first if anyone else has any thoughts

Thanks in anticipation......

Vincent

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: What3words app

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:40 am

Have a look at the Spain specific app Alert Cops:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Dalertcops

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 am

That's funny, this article was in the paper today. I have heard of it before, quite an incredible system. You would never have thought there'd be enough words to map the world!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitn ... und-world/

Has anyone used the Alertcops app? A neighbour who had internet but no phone signal at the house had dreadful problems getting an ambulance earlier this year, and it took 4 hours to eventually locate it with our help. I'm sure the delay led to his untimely death.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:18 am

I don't want to hijack this thread. I will open another one on the subject of Alert Cops:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=39597

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Wicksey wrote:That's funny, this article was in the paper today. I have heard of it before, quite an incredible system. You would never have thought there'd be enough words to map the world!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitn ... und-world/

Has anyone used the Alertcops app? A neighbour who had internet but no phone signal at the house had dreadful problems getting an ambulance earlier this year, and it took 4 hours to eventually locate it with our help. I'm sure the delay led to his untimely death.
Pretty sure that i read somewhete that the 3 words are not unique to a particular location, but the other incidences are geographically a long way away so there is no cunfusion between the locations the words refer to.

Eg go to their website and saerch for a location, say sayalonga. You get this string bloopers.superstars.exposition. Then put these words into their search box and you get 3 hits, sayalonga, some place in india, and another in a country that I've never heard of.

I believe that they also arrange the words such that important places have simpler, easier to remember word triplets.
Regards

Bob

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi,
I've done some tests in UK and it is spot on.
Using phone to send the three words to "my control" phone they could then pull up Navigate tab and from their location get a direct route to me.
I find it useful if I need to get my "Team" car to pick me up when I've had a major mechanical out on the Bike.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am

It works fine in Spain, but sadly, as yet, the emergency services do not use it.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 pm

May be just as well. I can imagine insular, non-Spanish speaking, ghetto dwelling foreigners wanting to use words in their own language and the Spanish emergency services insisting (for some inexplicable reason :mrgreen: ) on Spanish words. The resulting chaos doesn't bear thinking about.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm

You can set it up so it gives Spanish words. Whether the people you mention could pronounce them is questionable!

Sid