Avatel fibre optic and smartdnsproxy conflict

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
northandsouth
Resident

Avatel fibre optic and smartdnsproxy conflict

Postby northandsouth » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Anyone else using Avatel for their fibre optic, and smartdnsproxy too?
I have been for just over a year along with smartdnsproxy and have had great fast reliable service until now.
I'm now having issues with smartdnsproxy because my ISP is only issuing me with a "data IP address" rather than a "residential one".
I have no idea what the difference is save to say that the smartdns conflicts with it and immediately disconnects.
I raised a ticket with smartdns and they told me the issue is the IP address supplied by Avatel.
Avatel are sitting on their hands.
I've set up a paid VPN on a trial basis for the time being which, so far, is working flawlessly with my Fire TV, but would like to return to using a smart DNS.

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Avatel fibre optic and smartdnsproxy conflict

Postby northandsouth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 pm

UPDATE

Avatel have finally solved the issue,it's a different IP address now and is acceptable to smartdnsproxy

Unlike movistar which changes ip address, Avatel fibre maintains the same ip address whenever you reboot the router or have a power cut etc
So in the past I never had the need to reactivate my ip with smartdns. Then last week I was having to reactivate it every hour or so despite the ip address not changing.

I still don't understand what the difference is between a data ip and a residential one but anyway it's all good now.