ITV retest process

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

ITV retest process

Postby olive » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:58 pm

My car failed its ITV on a track rod end. Easy fix. Booking a retest is fairly simple- just select it from the drop down box. The guy said I have two months!

Is the retest the whole process again or just the offending item?

At booking ITV stage you get the warning to produce insurance docs. Also a big printed sign on the front desk at the station. Didn't ask for mine.

I would swear that at one point during the test a photo of your car appeared briefly onscreen. Good idea to stop folk taking a mates similar car but perhaps different colour in . Anyone else seen that on screen.?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV retest process

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 pm

olive wrote: Is the retest the whole process again or just the offending item?

I would swear that at one point during the test a photo of your car
Just the failed item is checked.
Yes, a photo is taken and appears on the ITV test report or it does on the ones from the Algarrobo test centre.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 pm

The two months is the period which you have to arrange the repair and take it back for the retest. During this time you may only drive it to the workshop for repair and return to your home and then to the ITV centre. You cannot use the vehicle on a day to day basis or for any other purpose during this time.

When you book the retest it automatically selects that option and you will notice that the option to change the test centre is greyed out because you must take it back to the centre where it failed. An appointment for a retest can usually be obtained within a day or two of making the booking.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Beachcomber. I went straight round to my local garage and they ordered the part while I waited and will do it Monday a.m. As I cannot predict what time they will have it completed, is it worth just turning up at the ITV station and asking for a slot ? As they only look at that one item it shouldn't take too long.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:29 pm

You could make an appointment then cancel it if the repairs are not completed in time. You can cancel online in the same way that you make an appointment. You cannot make an alternative appointment until you cancel the first one. You could just turn up but you may have a considerable wait.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 pm

For a retest you normally only wait less than 30 minutes.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Not quite right Beachcomer. You can now go to any centre for a retest, though that only started in January. If the retest is within 2 months they only test the failed items, after two months it's a full retest. If you fail the retest then it's a full retest usually within a month, though that bit is always vague.
I am an expert at retests. Old car, no money, many failures. However, as I only have one car it still gets used in the two month period. Not legal but needs must!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 pm

In the past when a car has failed its retest and has to go again, they make you pay a couple of euros and then just test the offending item?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm

You pay nothing for a retest now!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am

ajtg1952 wrote:...You can now go to any centre for a retest...
That is not what it says here:

https://www.veiasa.es/faq/puedo_realiza ... a_estacion

and when making an appointment for the second inspection the option to choose an alternative test centre is disabled.

Could you please give a link to your source for this information. Maybe both the VEIASA FAQ and the appointments page are wrong and need to be updated.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt this section addresses the question of the use of the vehicle during the two month period subsequent to a failure:

https://www.veiasa.es/faq/que_plazo_ten ... r_mientras

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm

There was a notice in the station at El Palo last time I was there in January. I passed on that occassion. I was so surprised I shook the testers hand!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm

result.

new track rod end has removed steering vagueness.

Went straight round to the test station and it was very busy in the office. 11.45 a.m. Selected no cita, Other and printed my ticket. Got seen within 3 minutes.Asked for a restest appointment now if possible and guy said certainly and made it there and then. It will be about a 20 minute wait. No fee. Got called in at 11.01. Very quick process. :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:32 pm

The rules about the location of the centre for a retest changed in October. Some locations may not have implemented this yet but it should be possible.

http://n332.es/2017/11/28/changes-to-the-itv-system/

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:08 pm

As usual you only get half a story from those people.

Here is the actual law from the BOE which was passed in October and published in November but has yet to be implemented:

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2017/11/08/ ... -12841.pdf

My car failed recently because after twelve years they decided that, despite being the same make, the same pattern and the same size, the two rear tyres were different! There was no option to go to another test centre for the retest and the 'from' date was not forward dated to the end of the current period of validity which is probably because the law is not due to come into effect until 20th. May

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Which centre was that B.C

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Mijas.