Organised car tours - Guardia Civil

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Organised car tours - Guardia Civil

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am

The reason the police don't seem to care is because all the fines and matriculation taxes that would be raised are the responsibility of Hacienda, the tax office and they receive the money. The road tax is the responsibility of the local town hall.

There is nothing in it for the police. They are better off catching criminals and issuing speeding tickets.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Katy, there are an awful lot of Spanish who don’t care about all sorts of rules and laws - perhaps as a reaction to being heavily controlled during the Franco era? Parking on pedestrian crossings, ignoring no entry signs, driving down one-way streets the wrong way, speeding, not having licences or insurance.....this does not mean that it is right to shrug shoulders and even copy them. Sadly even “respectable” Brits seem to become happy to flout all sorts of laws, some more serious.....or maybe the Spanish life attracts people of low moral standards?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:54 pm

peteroldracer wrote:...or maybe the Spanish life attracts people of low moral standards?
Thats a bit strong.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I meant as well as the majority of us, who do keep to the straight and narrow....I have overheard so many expats boasting about not paying this or caring about that, possibly because at least pre-Brexit they have been easily able to do so....

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:09 pm

It is true that many European ex-pats do treat the local Spanish population with some disdain and even contempt. Some object, almost on 'principle' to learning anything much of the language, even though they have lived here for years. A decade ago, it came as a real surprise to us to find many 50/60-year-old waiters in the Torrox Costa area speaking rather good German; there is an explanation for this, of course, dating back to WWII times, but, sorry, those who settled there have had rather a lot of time to learn the language. Arrogance? Probably.

And why do some of us get exercised about some extranjeros' evasion of taxes, padron registration, vehicle matriculation and testing...? Because many of us do actually pay our taxes, register ourselves and our cars, and obey local and national laws, and in doing so have to mop up some of the fiscal shortfall of those who don't. And - please - don't tell me that the evaders are feeding extra into the economy by spending extra in the bars and restaurants. That just doesn't wash, with some of us, anyway.
Chris

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 pm

So, can anyone answer the OP's question?
Civilised group of people in cars, willing to obey the rules of the road and wanting to cruise rural, interesting, scenic roads ... ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:32 pm

You mean get back on topic...nah. easier to have a rant about brit cars :wink: :mrgreen: Although we seem to be moving on to not speaking the lingo now.

Seriously I would just do it. There has been several treasure hunts held on the coast by car. Our own A.Com did something for their anniversary. The Ferrari club holds an annual run to Ronda.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:12 pm

That is my conclusion too.

I shall keep the numbers down and makesure it isnt a convoy nose to tail.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 am

Staying on topic, has the event happened by now, Olive and, if not, are there any chances of squeezing a car in? My wife and I have just returned and are staying until November. It sounds like a really nice way to see more of the area and meet people. Apols if I'm gatecrashing (unintended) but I would be interested if there is an opening.

And veering off... it looks like I'd be safer in my Spanish-reg car :?: I have a UK-plated car here, taxed and EU-insured, that I drove down in June and will drive back in November. Meantime, it's parked up a lot as the other one's more suitable for shopping etc. Hopefully, it'll do the same thing for us in future years as flying gets a bit samey. :wtf: There seems to be a presumption of guilt-by-yellow-plate in the thread; is it a definite thing inland? The only "I had to throw my tools in the Mondeo and scarper before the copper saw my plate" type of guy I knew in Benalmadena left yonks ago.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:30 am

There's a fair chance of "guilt by yellow plate" around here - as well as good smattering of vehicles from notably Germany and Switzerland - judging simply by the fact that the cars are always here, and have been for some years.
Chris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Ok. It's petered out on this part of the Costa; the known chancers headed back within years of the 2008 plug getting pulled on ducking + diving.

BTW, Olive - reading back on your OP, you're trying to keep the numbers down for obvious reasons and the last thing you want is randoms turning up. My apols for asking, but sounds like a good idea; hope it goes/went well.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:46 am

Was at the Gib border (ES) side the other day. Waiting in line behind a brit plated car that had no tax since 07, it was an 04 plate and no history of an MOT ie brought to spain before its first one was done. Reported him to the gib police officer on the border who said there was nothing he could do.out of intrest ive Emailed gib police for clarifaction. Either a lazy cop or they have no jurisdiction over uk plated cars.

The gall of people i was so tempted to get out and tap on his window. An old guy who prob sits reading the daily mail moaning about all the F. Jonnies in the uk

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am

Although I think you have it right, there is no way visually you can tell if a UK car is taxed since they abandoned tax discs. In the UK the police can call up info on tax, MoT and most importantly insurance, and they do impound non-compliers.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:09 am

I checked the status of the cars tax and mot on the dvla site on my phone while sat behind him (i wasnt driving) spanish police do the same. So nothing stopping GiB police doing the same. Either they have no power over non gib plated cars or it was an excuse

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 am

From what I remember on our last trip to Gib they have more than enough piles of junk on wheels of their own to deal with!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:13 pm

I know the tax discs have disappeared, but after a while, you do get a 'nose' for illegally-run cars here. Something to do with age, condition, and a layer of ingrained campo dust. :problem: :thumbdown:
Chris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Yeah and the fact i doubt a clapped out twenty year old banger has just been driven down from the uk.either that or its got a fake mot

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Cant believe how many part time hobby bobbies are on here.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Maybe too much time on their hands, although I think we have all met bitter expats who poke, pry and gossip. I can never understand why it doesn't bother them that some of their Spanish neighbours drive around uninsured and untested too. I wonder if anyone reports all those clapped out Polish and Romanian cars on the M1 etc. in UK.

Great hobby though, think about the satisfaction seeing an old guy, probably skint and maybe with e.g. a heart condition stuck in Gibraltar. Mission accomplished ha ha.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:49 pm

costakid wrote:Cant believe how many part time hobby bobbies are on here.
Perhaps its because those of us who have bought Spanish cars have paid the same registration tax as these scumbags are trying to avoid by not registering their UK cars. I bought a new car 18 months ago and the registration tax was nearly €1500.

Sid