International Driving Permit

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Icaru
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: International Driving Permit

Postby Icaru » Mon May 07, 2018 11:00 am

I have a US license and quickly need an IDP. I downloaded the Spanish application for the IDP and carefully read the page for Permiso Internacional. This page tells the requisites but not what type of appointment to request, or even if an appointment is needed.

When I tried to make an appointment in Malaga DGT office, it says that I must exactly choose which type of appointment. I tried 'Cita Previa para Canjes de terceros países' - this does not list the US as a possibility.

Trámites de oficina - Trámites de conductores --- Is this what I should choose? they do not specify which process is the one to choose for an IDP.

Thanks for any advice and help!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 07, 2018 12:25 pm

An IDP can only be issued by the country that issued the driving licence. You can apply by mail but it wont be quick

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Sid

Icaru
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Icaru » Mon May 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you! I was afraid of that but found a site in English that directed me to the spanish site. From the US there is a fast delivery option at a high price.
I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world. - Socrates