Modern cars, no spare wheel. Worried?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Modern cars, no spare wheel. Worried?

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I think they always say that as they want to sell you a new tyre. It depends on how big hole is. If it's very small like a slow puncture it will seal it permanently. If it's a big one, then it's probably best to replace it anyway.

Currently my car comes with a three year warranty on the tyres, so I would certainly get a new one anyway.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 am

Still in Spain after enjoying an epic jaunt thtough France and the Basque region, staying in many of the places suggested by folk on here. Looking forward to the return trip as an extension of the holiday too. I will do a write up of it when I return home.

Anyhow the reason I've taken the effort to get A.com on my phone and to log in was to say thank heavens I bought a new spare wheel and tyre. 2 punctures already and counting haha. Would you believe it?
I suppose we can't complain too much though......first time in 14 years we are not with Monarch.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Glad you are having a great trip. All the planning paying off.

I was trying to think back to our last puncture. It was about 1982. I took the car into Kwikfit for them to have a look at the exhaust blowing a little. Up on the ramp and the fitter and myself both saw the shiny head of a screw in the back tyre at the same time. Quick as a flash he had pliers in hand and ripped it out. It was not repairable as it wasn't in the mm of area in the centre that can be plugged.

I remember when BMW first started selling cars with no spare. The blurb said the average interval for a puncture is 93k miles. I am due at least 5 then. Ooer that is tempting fate....

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks Olive for that. Exactly the same here, it's an age since I last had a puncture too so it's just amazing to have had 2 in such a short space of time on what were brand new tyres. I'd have been stuffed with only the can of repair foam haha.

Yes glad we did a bit of planning and also took advice on here for way points on the trip, it paid dividends. Saw and stayed in some stunning places.

Anyway Spanish car being put to bed again today and a big wash and spruce up of the UK one will take place tomorrow for the 4 day excursion to blighty.
It has been a top holiday so far....i'm even a touch sad we've had an offer on the house too.......an offer we would have taken last month but knocked it back this week as we now want to do this trip a time or 2 more :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.