"Road Tax"

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

"Road Tax"

Postby Lyric » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Are road tax invoices out yet ? when is it due ? Torrox, Nerja, Velez area.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: "Road Tax"

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 am

I'm in the Velez Malaga area and haven't received mine yet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am

Not had one but tbh i think i got one the first year in march and never received anything after that.think ive seen some in letter boxes in the rest of the village (fri.g) post is dire here as they seem to hold the post for days/weeks in the post office and when you go in to ask if you have any post they say if you have a post box you can wait until its delievered.even though the office is full of undelievered post Great when its been a month since important docs were sent from the U.K.anyway of complaining?

anyway i dont expect car tax to be sent i just take my old one into the townhall and they print off this years for me.
Think it has to be paid by end of may

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:08 pm

I think for new cars the due date is based on the registration date. For old cars it is usually May something but I don't think there is a late fee unless you pay more than one or two months too late.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Our date was always the same.the car was owned from new.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 pm

With a new car, the tax is paid pro rata when you buy it. Thereafter it is paid annually just like all other cars.

Car tax runs from the 1st of January, even though it’s always collected much later.

It’s worth noting that the owner on the 1st of January is liable for the whole years tax, so if you sell it on the 2nd of January, you will still have to pay for the whole year even though you only get the bill in May.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 pm

If you are going to ask about it maybe worth knowing it is the “IVTM”.
And if you cannot say that in Spanish you should be on the naughty step.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:51 pm

I received our car tax bill today, via e-mail. I don’t know if this is widespread or just in our area?
Keep an eye on your inbox just in case.

Gretch

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:35 pm

We just pay by direct debit and as a result don’t have to worry about it. Why doesn’t everyone do this?

Sid

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 pm

On the subject of road tax , I'm bringing down a 1.6 tdci focus estate what would the road tax be, it's £30 in the UK?
Thanks

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Jogger, it depends where you live as each town sets its own rates.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:58 pm

El Cid wrote:We just pay by direct debit and as a result don’t have to worry about it. Why doesn’t everyone do this?

Sid
The law says the bill payer is responsible for paying the bill , setting up a direct debit does not absolve you of that , i have an email from our town hall staring exactly that .

Recently some 80 year old friends of ours living in the UK with a property here came over and visited the town hall to see why their IBI had not been taken this year , they were presented with the bill which included €60 for late payment . The money had not been claimed , they were told that they should have checked to see the money for the bill had been taken .

OK in that instance the council used the law to insist on the €60 fine being paid but in this area a couple or years ago backdated IBI bills were produced in March rather than the historical time of July , any council can do this whenever they wish to fit in with their budgeting requirements , last year it was a month earlier than normal , in both these instances no one knew so it simply wasn't possible to avoid the Fines .

Others have had sums taken that were either already paid or not even theirs , try getting money back from a town hall can cost you more using a professional than writing the money off .

We dont get a discount for paying by DD , in fact we pay by DD and the money is taken a week after the factora is issued , if we didn't pay by DD we would have 2 months to pay it , we would also be sent a factora , they dont send out factoras to property owners that pay by DD , considering its to the councils advantage to have people pay by DD their policy actually has the opposite effect because it penalizes DD payers .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Well, we have done it for 18 years with two cars with no problems at all.

Sid

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:20 pm

I can believe that Cid , i think it comes down to the local council involved , their staff and how competent they are or if they are even bothered about the voters between elections , no different than the UK then .

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 pm

We were on DD for our IBI when we first had a property in Spain. Unbeknown to us we had been unwittingly paying for another property nearby for 2 years. First we knew was when we had a knock on the door and 2 Ayuntamiento officials demanding the outstanding payment.
We showed them the paperwork proving payment and they pointed out the reference number was one digit out. We then discovered that the reference number was issued by the Ayuntamiento with our names address and NIE numbers but they still insisted it was wrong.
We had to go with our lawyer to the Ayuntamiento offices within 7 days, which we did and after an hour of wading through piles of papers we were told we would have to pay the outstanding payment even though they accepted we had already paid it, and to cap it all we had to pay a late payment fine! :thumbdown: or face further fines.
Despite our lawyer requesting, in fact demanding they literally tap a few keys on the keyboard and transfer our payments already made to our ibi account, he was told that was not possible and we had to pay again and claim the previously paid monies from the owners of the property we had been paying for. The lawyer was totally aghast at their attitude and even the employee himself agreed but maintained rules are rules. Needless to say we paid again under protest, and several attempts at getting a refund from the Andorra based company that owned the nearby villa were fruitless. And we were advised that the costs of any legal action would be immense and a total waste of time. This was 2004 and we had a red line against our account for 5 more years even after paying in full. Needless to say following the debacle we cancelled the DD and in future always paid facturas manually after physically collecting them from the Ayuntamiento.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Jogger, it depends where you live as each town sets its own rates.
Thanks Peter

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 pm

My road tax bills arrived, by post, today from Velez Malaga.
Have to be paid by 17th May
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks Gerry, something to look forward to. I have to visit my Buzon later as a package has arrived, so I'll see. Torrox is usually pretty much in line with the other Ayuntamientos

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:50 pm

We went to suss out the situation up here in Murcia. The period for payment in our city has just opened, final date 14th October!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Nothing in fri.g i went to the townhall last week and got the bill and paid it at the bank instead of waiting and prob forgetting