No Heated Rear Screen

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

No Heated Rear Screen

Postby AkoAko » Mon May 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Just bought a new Ford , only added alloy wheels as everything else came as standard so i was amazed when it didnt have a heated rear screen , has electrically adjustable side mirrors though , great i set them when i get car and they dont get touched again for 3 years until i sell it . It appears rather than having to move a leaver inside the car i now have the convenience of being able to push a button for a few seconds every 3 years and as a trade off all i have to do is go out early about 10-15 times a year to scrape hard ice of my rear screen so i can see out of it without buggering up the rear wipers .

Contacted Ford and they say its not even an option , they simply dont fit heated rear screens to the new model , when i asked why they bother fitting a standard Electrically adjustable side mirrors i was told , " they are a selling point so advertised on its specifications " , then the bit that made me chuckle , " heated rear screens wouldent be , buyers take it for granted their new car will have it " . Yup , they got that right , i did .

Guess i should count my blessings , i also took it for granted the car would have a wheel in each corner , im relived i at least got that right .

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: No Heated Rear Screen

Postby costakid » Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 pm

What Model Ford is this?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon May 21, 2018 4:36 pm

What model indeed ???
If that much of a disaster, and brand new, just return the car for a refund/whatever.
Will be interesting to see what the exact model is, though. Hmm...
Chris

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Mon May 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Ford Ka plus Ultimate

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Found this...
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... ne-up.html
The car does appear to have a heated front "Quickclear" windscreen, though.

You could try asking at a Ford spares counter. They would confirm, maybe from a previous/other model/version??
Also speak to Ford Customer Relations?

Agree, it seems unbelievable that such a basic thing could have been deleted.
Personally, I'd throw the car straight back - "unfit for use" in winter conditions.
Chris

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Theres 3 models , Ford Ka Plus , Essential 69 BHP, Ultimate 85BHP and now the latest model the Active , i will be collecting the Ultimate , theres no mention on the specifications of Essential or Ultimate of the ford heated front "Quickclear" windscreen . The previous version of the Ford Ka has not got it .

Messages supplier to ask about the ford heated front "Quickclear" windscreen but i do know from talking to Ford earlier today the heated rear screen is not available for the Essential or the Ultimate , no idea about the Active ,its possible it could be and thats what you read was referring to . Just had a reply from the dealer , it has not got Quickclear for the front windscreen either . Heated rear screen is not required here in Spain .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 21, 2018 10:25 pm

In 18 years I have never had the need to use the heated rear windscreen.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue May 22, 2018 7:19 am

So is the lack of a HRW down to a local marketing decision by Ford Spain?
Chris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 am

El Cid wrote:In 18 years I have never had the need to use the heated rear windscreen.Sid
Hellish useful if the car gets to go to France or UK - or anywhere cold and damp.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 am

I agree, but I never do. It is ludicrous for Ford to make such a penny pinching decision! I cant see it being a "Spain" issue as most of the country, in winter, has ice/misting problems. Maybe it is because it is the cheapest car in the range. I wonder if the Dacia Sandero has one as standard.

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 am

El Cid wrote:In 18 years I have never had the need to use the heated rear windscreen.

Sid
I am 9 km from the coast, as the crow flys, but at 620 m and need the heated rear screen regularly between September and May!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 22, 2018 8:52 am

So no heated rear screen but does it have a Bidet? Rear wash wipe.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 am

El Cid wrote:I agree, but I never do. It is ludicrous for Ford to make such a penny pinching decision! I cant see it being a "Spain" issue as most of the country, in winter, has ice/misting problems. Maybe it is because it is the cheapest car in the range. I wonder if the Dacia Sandero has one as standard.

Sid
The previous version of the Ford Ka , ( 2 door ) has heated rear screen on all models as standard , air con Radio etc are optional extras . The strange thing is that on the new model ( 4 door ) Air con , Bluetooth connectivity with hands free , voice controlled calling , dialing , TX reading and music plus a lot of other things all come as standard but the Heated Rear Screen is not even an optional extra .

On cold mornings when the windows are covered in ice we normally start the engine with the heater blowing on the windscreen for a few minutes to clear it before driving off , wont have to sit around waiting now , can use that time to scrape the rear window , Fords thought of everything . Brrrrrr

Costakid , you posted when i was typing and sent a cold chill down my back when i read your post as i didnt know so for a moment thought it might not so looked at photos and IT HAS , Phew

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sat May 26, 2018 11:13 am

We went to accept the car this morning which just added to everyone's confusion including the Ford sales staff who have sold quite a few of these cars in the last couple of years , and it DID have a heated rear screen , the sales lady that sold it was surprised because like us she didnt think it was available on the Ka + Ultimate , the same information Ford themselves gave me during an online chat . The other salesman in the dealership wasn't sure .

Next , we asked to see the engine and asked again how many cylenders it had , the salesman said 3 which we expected as thats also what the specification sheet stated , the salesman was as surprised when i pointed out it had 4 intake manifolds , 4 electrical connectors to the engine and 4 spark plug leads it was 4 cylinder , this time both the sales staff were confused , they were both sure it should be 3 cylinder , i even showed one the reply he sent on Whats app when i asked because i was getting conflicting information from different websites .

No idea now exactly what model we have bought and it seems it pointless trying to get a reliable answer from the dealership or Ford online help assistants .

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Crikey what a saga. I wonder what else is "different".

I don't know much about the model but maybe it is a car from the end/beginning of a spec change. I had a Ford Capri that was like that many years ago. A right pain as things like the rear brakes were from the previous years model.

The devil in me is thinking you maybe should be asking for a reduction to accept a car that isn't as described. They would probably agree as it is the twelfth hour

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Sat May 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Thats the conclusion im reaching Olive , to many discrepancies although there equally good as bad , . Apparently due to customers feedback they put an additional button in the tailgate , the dealers say they never know until a car arrives , some have it others dont , the one in the showroom has not got one , the 2018 model should have it and ours HAS so my way of thinking is that it rules out an earlier version but then again , we dont have the touch screen or the new front grill of the 2018 model . Yellow colored was standard at no extra cost for the 2017 version , ours is Yellow and no extra cost but the 2018 model its White and costs €250 more on the 2017 , thats the same for UK and European models , seems Ford class the UK as not being part or Europe .

The things they list like Front wiper blades , chrome button on the handbrake , stupid things that really arnt worth mentioning but makes the list of specifications overly long , add to that the UK and European models show different specs and each seem to change year on year its almost impossible to define what we bought but were happy with it as it stands and thats all that matters .

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat May 26, 2018 7:58 pm

OK, no-one at Ford (or their dealer) knows what the hell is going on. Wonderful. Triffic.
Next...
Chris

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun May 27, 2018 9:35 am

My new Ford is fine most of the time, but wont start up between 2.00 pm - 5 pm.
Its a Ford Siesta :D :D
Hardworking resident !!

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:
El Cid wrote:In 18 years I have never had the need to use the heated rear windscreen.Sid
Hellish useful if the car gets to go to France or UK - or anywhere cold and damp.
Or even warm and damp. Wet day, passengers getting in with damp clothes etc, sure an air conditioned car will get rid of moisture fairly quick but that rear screen can still mist up.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 27, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't allow wet people to get in the car! To be fair, most of the time it is covered.

Sid