ITV, Algarrobo

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
TorreDelAguila
Resident

ITV, Algarrobo

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:53 am

Tried to book an ITV test at Algarrobo yesterday, two weeks ahead of the due date of 25 August.
Was surprised that the first available date was 5 September, and that all of August was 'greyed out' as unavailable.
Holidays? Training? Refurb? or just Busy?
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: ITV, Algarrobo

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:37 am

That sounds about normal.
Earlier in the year I tried tom book and first available was about 4 weeks after ITV run out.
However looked again after a few days an got a date before the ITV expired.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 am

You could also try El Palo in case there is less demand there?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:00 am

If you go down there there is a machine that will give you a ticket for that day, but be prepared to wait as you could be there all day.
Hardworking resident !!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Tried to book an ITV test at Algarrobo yesterday, two weeks ahead of the due date of 25 August.
Was surprised that the first available date was 5 September, and that all of August was 'greyed out' as unavailable.
Holidays? Training? Refurb? or just Busy?
Mine runs out in August and I had the same problem last year. This year I booked way early and had it tested late July. Seems that I lost a month, but then august is a bad month for me test wise as my daughter/grandkids come over and I can't do without the big car. In August Failure is not an option....

Having said that the Merc M 4x4 failed first time. I couldn't believe the absolute stupidity of the bell ends at test centre. After 10 years of passing first time they decided that the film on the rear quarter lights (which has always been there from before we switched to spanish plates) had to be removed.
These are tiny windows that are at the very rear of the car over the load space. Back to the garage, pull off film, back to centre to be given a pass.
Regards

Bob

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Have you checked the dates of validity? Are you sure you lost a month? If you did go back and challenge them. One of the new rules which came into effect on 20th May 2018 states:

Las nuevas normativas de la ITV establecen que se puede pasar la ITV hasta un mes antes de su vencimiento. Los titulares de vehículos entonces tienen mayor margen para pasar la ITV. Antes de que se implementaran los cambios, se daba una fecha exacta para la inspección dejando poco margen a los titulares, mientras que ahora se cuenta con un mes..

https://itv.com.es/las-novedades-de-las-itv

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm

I did read somewhere that it had recently changed and you can get up to 1 month added. To be honest I didn't look at the sticker that closely to check the new expiry date. As I mentioned August is the worst month for the Merc to be ITV'd as it is the only time that I really have to have the big car available. Whether I get the month or not I will still be getting it tested in July next year. That is assuming that i haven't changed it for a different car by then. Always keeping my eyes open.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm

My wife's car was due for it's ITV in June.
I took it for the test a few weeks before the due date and the new ITV was issued for 12 months from the date it was due in June.
Look at your ficha technica and you should see the ITV is for 12 months from the due date and not 12 months from when you had it tested before the due date.
NB that the new ITV will have a maximum time period of 13 months, I.E only one month can be added.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 am

My ITV was due by Aug 14th but I was leaving in late July and not returning until 27/08. I started looking around Malaga province in late June/beginning of July and appointments were all well into August - so the backlog had started already. Antequera had a slot around 1pm on 17th July so I snatched it. Nice (1st) experience and, fortunately, passed without a hitch. The renewal date was set to August 14th without me saying anything - the tester actually drew my attention to it. Although I'd brushed up on technical Spanish, he took a look at my pale arm and bad dress sense and conducted everything in English. Nice.

p.s., there was a "grab a ticket" machine, but a fair roomful of people. Glad I pre-booked.