Organised car tours - Guardia Civil

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Organised car tours - Guardia Civil

Postby olive » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:38 pm

I am looking to organise, a not for profit or gain, series of drives for a group of friends to encompass some of the amazing scenic routes that abound in Andalucia. Over the years , I have encountered organised motorbike tours on some of the routes.

Are there any laws that might be broken? E.g. max number of 12. My gut feeling is driving within the law and not in a close convoy and obviously within the speed limit would be fine. Stops would be at big roadside places like motorway service type places.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Organised car tours - Guardia Civil

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 pm

These folk (Classic Car Club of Andalucia) should be able to tell you. They organise regular meets and tours involving multiple cars. http://www.cccandalucia.com/
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 pm

The members of that Chassic Car Club show no respect for the law, with lots of UK-plated cars (usually personal numbers) despite obviously never leaving Spain, so don't expect them to worry about other rules and regulations!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 am

Fair comment. I've never enthused over the rather elitist vibe that emanates from their articles in the free press. 'Classic' there seems somewhat synonymous with 'expensive'...and at odds with most of the classic car world.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 am

CCCA insist on your vehicle being a "classic" unless you have something exotic and then it is ok to join with a newer model.

If you are breaking no laws I can't see the police having a problem. All legal, stick to speed limits etc.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 am

And the rarity of an “H” plate? Semms to me they think they are above the laws that apply to ‘normal’ people....the press even seem to conspire as often numbers are pixilated in photos.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:10 am

As far as i know it is illegal to tailgate everywhere, on this basis there is no way 12 cars can travel in a line without permission.
It may be an option to travel separately from A-B-C from place and assemble say at hotel, public area or car park.
Spanish driving can be pretty aggressive and slow driving by a group of cars not good option.
I did see a run once but on a fast road, they were high end older cars and going pretty fast, also they were in group of 2 or 3 and i expect that they were leaving gaps so a person need just overtake one car at a time.
Tell them all that the mirror is not only for putting on their make-up...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am

Tailgating?? Not if they keep a safe distance apart.

On your premise, traffic queues would be illegal.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:23 am

Some years ago I organised an event in Alexandra Palace involving 450 classic Rovers. Thirty of them assembled at the Royal Albert Hall, and took a 'landmark' route through central London towards AllyPally. We cleared it with the Metropolitan Police beforehand, who made it clear that 'convoys' were not acceptable, but a collection of cars making their way along a common route was quite in order.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 am

Did once look at the costs and procedure for obtaining an 'H' plate here.
Seemed extremely expensive, and of little practical value, except being able to be exempt from annual car tax.
I only know of one in the Sayalonga area, on an ancient Volvo estate.
I believe annual car tax (and its level) is actually a matter for local town halls, and some kind of reduction/exemption could be obtained.
Such a relatively small sum - and taxes do have to be collected somehow.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am

The important thing is not whether to have an ‘H’ plate (though this does have advantages re ITV and road tax) but to not ride around with no ITV or road tax on UK plates. No one will convince me that they drive a valuable classic car to the UK every year for an MoT!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:47 am

If there was a distance it would not be considered as tailgating...
as far as i know tailgating is not illegal in cities...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 am

What makes you think that the participants in this proposed tour would be stupid enough to get close enough to be deemed to be tailgating by Trafico?

Olive specifically stated that they will be driving legally and not in a convoy.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm

peteroldracer wrote:The important thing is not whether to have an ‘H’ plate (though this does have advantages re ITV and road tax) but to not ride around with no ITV or road tax on UK plates. No one will convince me that they drive a valuable classic car to the UK every year for an MoT!
Even if they did it would still be illegal. illegal to own or drive (unless the owner is with you) a non spanish plated car as a spanish resident and for a non spanish plated car to be in spain for more than 6 months.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm

I really do wish that that law were enforced.
I think any one of us, if spending a day out with Trafico officers, could rapidly point to individual UK (and other) vehicles over here full-time on non-SP plates, and with a pretty high hit-rate.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm

peteroldracer wrote:The important thing is not whether to have an ‘H’ plate (though this does have advantages re ITV and road tax) but to not ride around with no ITV or road tax on UK plates. No one will convince me that they drive a valuable classic car to the UK every year for an MoT!
They may transport them. I have seen transporters along the coast many time with Classic cars on board.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:I really do wish that that law were enforced.
I think any one of us, if spending a day out with Trafico officers, could rapidly point to individual UK (and other) vehicles over here full-time on non-SP plates, and with a pretty high hit-rate.
A friend in our village now returned to the U.K used to say the same thing. He would work for the council for free and would quite happily go around the village planting stickers on all the illegal cars that he knew of. Personally id prefer a clamp. Think of the money you could make! They do appear to be having a purge locally but seems to be on the spanish plated cars that have been dumped more than anything.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 pm

There ought to be an easy way for any of us to report a likely illegal vehicle, without the need to make denuncias or formal statements in person at a police station, nor getting unnecessarily personally entangled in each case. Essentially a slick way of making a well-intentioned "tip-off", perhaps by an e-mailed form with an attached photo, which Guardia/Trafico could then follow up.
Wishful thinking, I guess.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 am

Perhaps you should join the Police if you want to be a policeman. How the hell can you have a likely illegal vehicle? There is a reason the police are the police.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:22 am

I don't understand why it bothers people so much when most Spanish don't care. Our neighbours Son was a Policeman in Marbella, he said it wasn't a priority as too costly and time consuming. Near where we lived a small furniture van with UK plates was dumped on a small road. After a couple of months there was a police aware notice on it but it remained there for many months after before they towed it away.