Questions regarding sale of old car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Colettehera
Tourist

Questions regarding sale of old car

Postby Colettehera » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi , I have a question , I inherit my mums old car in July 2017 near ALbox at our house not far from there ,the car is now in my name ,plus I have the NIE number right . I am a non residens in Spain ,as I live in Denmark ,the car is for sale ,the question is. Before I sell it. must I have it to ITV ,? As I live in DenMark I could Not goe to the ITV with the car in June 2018 ,plus in order to sell the car for around 1000 € must I have the cR insured at the Liberty insurence in Albox ? Or Can I sell the car with out the reniew ITV and mKe the insurence in my name ,as if I sell the car in 1 month ,the Liberty insurrence Will Not give me my money back from the rest of the Year ,if I must pay for 1 Year .

Since the last ITV the car has just been standing in the gaRage at the House ,drove around 200 km in 16 month

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Questions regarding sale of old car

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 pm

You can sell it without ITV, and without insurance, so far as I know.
You just mustn't use it on a public road.
Chris

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Chris thank you very much for letting me know

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:21 pm

I would write on the invoice: SOLD FOR SPARES OR REPAIR. Then get them to sign it.

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 pm

thanks Costa kid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:46 pm

...and (forgot) if the car is still carrying Spanish reg plates, let Trafico/licensing know that the car is now sold (and to whom) - otherwise you/family might end up getting fines/infringements/tax requests for it in the future, especially if the new owner fails to register it. All a bit like the V5 Transfer Form (or whatever it's called now) in the UK. If in doubt, a Gestor will do all this for you. Get the purchaser's full details, including his NIE number (just ask to see ID, eg residencia/driving lic/health card).
Chris

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:12 pm

THank you Chris ,good to know ,the car is still Not sold ,and has the numberplate on ,I dont know When I find someone to buy the car ,its a Wonderful little car good for the mountains ,only around 200 km the car drove the last Year since the ITV ,the thing is difficult for me to sell it When i AM IN DENMARK ,however I goe Down the end of October for 12 days ,and hope to sell it then .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:21 pm

I thought that you cannot sell a car without a valid ITV, but I will do a bit more checking. Of course, you can sell anything you own, but getting it transferred into the buyers name is where the problems arise.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:04 pm

If that were the case, the suggestion above "Spares or Repair" might cover it.
The important thing is for the current owner to get shot of the legal ownership of it, which ought to be straightforward if the transfer procedure is carried out.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Yes, that should work, just as it would not require an ITV if you sold it to a scrap yard.

As I said, the problem is for the buyer as he cannot register it in his name. If he chooses to buy it and use it on the road illegally and with it not in his name, the seller picks up the tab for any fines etc.

Sid

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:06 am

I have seen cars for sale on MilAnuncios without ITV. In fact, when I started looking back in October, it was annoying how many promising ones turned out to have expired ITV. A taller/ocasion seller just down the street had a car parked up for sale and it went unsold through its ITV and they didn't even bother to reduce the sticker price. It all seemed a bit odd to me, hunting a car in Spain for the first time. I'd be surprised if all buyers trailer the car to an appointment, as legally supposed to.*

Colettehera, I have read of garages that not only do pre-ITV checks, but will also take the vehicle to the testing station to pick up its pass (for a fee, no doubt and probably more expensive for an expired vehicle). It might be worth investigating that possibility versus scrapping it or selling at a huge discount.*

Also on MilAnuncios, short-term insurance is advertised which could be worth checking. Of course, you would have to decide if throwing money at the vehicle is worthwhile.*

* I did not find a clear answer to the legality of selling without ITV in English, but did find an affirmative answer when I searched in Spanish. My search also produced a Spanish version of "we buy any car" websites:
https://www.compramostucoche.es/vendo-c ... e-sin-itv/

They offer quite poor valuations (in the UK, at least) but, if you just want rid of the vehicle - and to protect yourself from someone very interested in a car sold by an absent Dane with a view to committing every road violation in the book - it may be worth entering the car's details and see what you are offered.

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:28 am

THank you very much for the details 1 bassleft ,it sure seems abit complicated ,Will see What is possible to doe with the car,a little it difficult to understand all the spanish via the link

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 pm

You could paste the text into Google Translate to get the idea. Its Spanish to English has improved over the years, not exactly correct but understandable. I've pasted the Danish translation so you can judge for yourself if it makes sense (below). What I read quickly translated into English was "There is no legal reason why you can't sell a car without ITV, but it is more difficult because the car can't be driven. You will get a lower price because the buyer will have to pay extra expenses. Don't forget to inform trafico of your vehicle sale. At compramostucoche.es (we buy your car website) we handle all of that for you and will give you a fair price."

As El Cid mentioned, there might (probably will) be a delay in transferring ownership to the buyer with the official without an up to date ITV certificate - especially if the official has had a bad lunch. If the transfer of ownership is not carried out in your presence, there is always the risk that the buyer does not bother. The advantage for the buyer is that you will appear to be still the owner and responsible for taxing it, paying fines etc. I know this sounds alarming, but there really is a small possibility that your car for sale might attract the sort of buyer who wants a vehicle that will not be traced to themselves, but to an innocent foreigner abroad who does not understand why a lot of fines are being sent to their house. The responsibility to name the actual driver is yours. This is why it is important that you, or someone you trust, sees their ID and address documentation.

Also, even as a private seller, you are technically responsible (for 6 months after sale) for any defects that could not be reasonably noticed during a pre-sale inspection. In your contract of sale, you should make sure that "sin garantia" and "sold as seen" are worded legally correctly so that the buyer cannot successfully return the car for the money back or make you pay for repairs. Most people do not bother but it would be an added complication for you if you had an awkward buyer as the law does favour the buyer (in theory).

Unless the car is worth quite a lot of money, or something that you could make regular use of when you are in Spain, it might be better for you to find the easiest route to sell, even if you do not get the best price.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Google Translate of the link's opening paragraph into Danish:
Det kan virke svært, men det er muligt at sælge en bil uden ITV. Lovligt er der ingen hindring for at gøre det.

Hvis du vil sælge en bil uden ITV og uden forsikring, skal du sælge den til en billigere pris, da du skal rabat på de udgifter, som inspektionen kræver. Find en køber til din bil uden ITV og få en god pris umulig, fordi bilen ikke kan cirkulere.

Vi erhverver din bil uden ITV, og vi giver dig en rimelig pris nemt og uden komplikationer. Vurder din bil nu fra vores hjemmeside og glem at gå til DGT og inspektionen. I compramostucoche.es gør vi det for dig!

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 pm

THank you so much again for all your help Nd the translation ,very kind of you indeed ,Well the car is for sale for 1000 € I might try the link you have placed and see What they tell me ,THank you so match again

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Yes, I think if you enter the details it will give you an idea, and you do not have to go ahead. Then you can work out whether the extra money is worth the effort.

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:25 pm

It seems ones has to book online there at the compramoscoche.es
I did write the details and Got the Price around 1200 €
I wrote an e-mail to Them with photos and my documents ,only I have no reply from Them via the mail

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:38 pm

That is a promising amount - were you able to state that the ITV had expired on the online form? Perhaps you will be able to have the car sold for as much or more than you were hoping (cars in Andalucia sell for more than many parts of Europe, even other parts of Spain, as people will drive old vehicles long after others do not want them). You will need to make sure that you have documentation to show that you are the legal owner of the vehicle, have a strong connection to the address, etc. Bring them with you in October as it would be very frustrating for a sale to fail because your driving licence is in Denmark.

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Jes I have my NIE number from my spanish lawyer ,my Danish drivin license ,plus the New car papers in my name ,as I needed this in my name the car in order to sell .

I yust hope they would reply me via mail after my mail to Them , maybe tomorrow they Will

Colettehera
Tourist

Postby Colettehera » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:57 pm

I did write the details in the mail for Them with Photograph and documents ,aswell that the car has no ITV since June this Year expired ,i hope they reply to me via mail