Taxing a car I won't own

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Taxing a car I won't own

Postby Alcala Barry » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:26 pm

We are considering selling one of our cars, to update it. We have had an offer that is a fair one. The car is (in theory) taxed, but the bill for this won't arrive until late April/May. We are also in the process of moving to southern France. So how can I tax the car as I can not rely on the new occupant of our house here to forward any mail? Can the new owner tax it? Can I tax it it some other way?

Regards

Barry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Taxing a car I won't own

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Anybody can hand over the money, along with the bill, to pay the tax.
I pay the tax on a car I don't own, my wife's car, without any problems.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Hello Gerry.
The problem is I won't be able to get the bill to pay it, as we will have moved elsewhere.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:17 pm

We've just sold our car and the person that bought will be paying the tax. I don't expect to get a bill for it in May as we will no longer be the registered owners.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Right. Maybe I'll do the same then.
Thanks Wicksey

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Just make sure the transfer is all done properly when you part with it. Good luck in France (been there, done that, and much to our surprise we came back!)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the new owner will pay the tax.
I sold a car and the new owner, despite assurances that he would pay, did not pay the tax.
Over a year later I found my bank account embargoed for the tax plus interest.
I had moved house so the address on the car tax was my old address so I didn't know the tax hadn't been payed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Who ever owns the car on the first of jan is liable to pay the car tax.the new owner can just go to their local townhall with car docs and they will print off a new bill and they go and pay it

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Elusive.
I didn't know you could do this. Have you done it before?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am

gerryh wrote:Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the new owner will pay the tax.
I sold a car and the new owner, despite assurances that he would pay, did not pay the tax.
I had moved house so the address on the car tax was my old address so I didn't know the tax hadn't been payed.
Cheers
Gerry
Make sure that you cancel any direct debits through your bank. The OP may no longer have his Spanish bank if he is moving to France, so not a problem. Surely once the car is correctly registered to the new owner the previous owner should not be receiving any of its bills anyway?
elusive wrote:.the new owner can just go to their local townhall with car docs and they will print off a new bill and they go and pay it
I bought a new car last year and as we live in the campo and all our ID docs have that 'address' on it we will never receive the car tax bill until I go to the office and get it in April/May time. I will then have to change it to our PO Box address and set up a DD for future payments. In Torrox it isn't in the town hall but they have a separate Patronato de Recaudacion office that deals with all the local tax bills (ie car tax, IBI etc).

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:Elusive.
I didn't know you could do this. Have you done it before?
I go to my townhall every year and do it as for all but one year i never receive the bill in the post. As others say bigger areas have heir own office for bills etc

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Wicksey wrote:
gerryh wrote:Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the new owner will pay the tax.
Cheers
Gerry
Make sure that you cancel any direct debits through your bank. The OP may no longer have his Spanish bank if he is moving to France, so not a problem. Surely once the car is correctly registered to the new owner the previous owner should not be receiving any of its bills anyway?
I didn't pay the car tax via a direct debit.
Correct once the car is "once the car is correctly registered to the new owner the previous owner should not be receiving any of its bills anyway?"
But the new owner disn't register the car into their name until after 1st Jan. So I was still technically the owner even though I sold it in November.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 am

Alcala Barry wrote:I didn't know you could do this. Have you done it before?
yes, i´ve done it to pay bills for my parents. by name, nie number or home address.

Gerry.. the new owner is a cheeky git, and knew that the bill would be sent to you as you were the registered owner on the 1st of january.

Alcala Barry - you might well be able to pay the bills online using your NIE number ? (town hall website)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 am

This may not be the case but if the owner of the car is registered disabled the annual car tax is waived for the vehicle registered in that persons name.

also as stated who ever was the owner on the 1st jan is liable for the tax, if you are that worried just set up a direct debit for this one year and cancel it afterwards OR as part of the sale tell the owners to sort it out and pay. the town hall will take anyones money plus you will no longer be in spain (ie) france so nothing really to worry about. Us Brits will soon be Euro Pirates we get treated like it so may as well start acting like it.

Ive learnt my lesson with buying bikes and scooter (ie) never buy them in december or november always in jan or feb LOL.