Purchasing second hand car from private owner

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Purchasing second hand car from private owner

Postby jaycecampo » Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Does anyone know the exact steps to take. Viewed a car, made an offer, accepted, all paperwork in order.
1. Do I pay a deposit
2. Do we both go to a Gestor for a sales contract
3 Do I make a bank transfer to the seller, what safe guards do I have
Value is 6,000 so no cash allowed.

Worried about loosing my money
Many thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Purchasing second hand car from private owner

Postby costakid » Wed May 22, 2019 8:30 am

1st thing is to make sure he has clean title and the car is embargo free. Make sure all taxes and fines are paid.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 pm

I would go to the gestoria with the seller and so then they will check for any debts on the car. That will ensure that the seller provides their ID and that the paperwork will all be handled properly.

I'm not sure I would pay a deposit in advance but it's timing the full payment so you are sure that the transaction is going to go through OK before you pay up.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm

While i have absolutely no experience of Spanish system i think apart from the fact that you need to be confident the car is debt-free all other arrangements are between you and the seller.
As regards payment i think you will pay as per the sellers requirements so if they want cash... it be cash with receipt.
There is an element of risk and trust in these private deals and if you think you getting good value be careful you do not put seller off.
If it were me i would ask the likely Spanish seller for advise on transfer.
I have bought a few cars on eBay blind (ie i paid for unseen) one was €5k+ thankfully they all worked out good.

good luck...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm

wollie wrote:While i have absolutely no experience of Spanish system .......
It's very different to the UK system and I would want to be absolutely sure that the paperwork is registered properly via a getoria. A neighbour 'bought' a car but never got the registration paperwork in his name that was constantly promised. I think it remains in the name of the owner before last :crazy:

I also forgot to say, agree who is going to pay the transfer tax that is due when it changes hands. Depending on the car it can amount to several hundred and often the seller will not want to pay it so it's an additional cost for the buyer.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed May 22, 2019 5:23 pm

costakid wrote:1st thing is to make sure he has clean title and the car is embargo free. Make sure all taxes and fines are paid.
I have heard this said and understood it to be correct.
A few years ago I part exchanged my car with a small back street garage just before the end of the year.
The garage repaired the car and sold it on and got the paperwork issued in the new owner's name. Also the garage gave them the money to tax it.
They didn't tax it and the following year I was embargoed for the tax and a late payment fine.
So the fine didn't transfer with the car, it stayed with me as the "owner" on 1st Jan in the year they bought it.
My wife's current car was also bought privately.
She and the seller when to a local gestor to complete the purchase and change owners names etc.
I insured the car in her name with Linea Directa, as my car is insured with them.
A few weeks later got a message from LD to say there was an outstanding speeding fine on the car.
Spoke to them and it turned out the previous owner had been fined but not paid.
Spoke to the LD legal department and they said don't worry as my wife wasn't the owner of the car at the time of the offence.
Also checked with the gestor who phoned Traffico and got the same answer.
So the fine didn't get transferred with the car it stayed with the previous owner who had gone back to the UK the day after selling the car to my wife.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 am

Regarding the tax, I have just paid the tax on the car we sold in February this year. If I hadn't have paid up then I guess I would have been chased for it in due course as we owned the car on 1 Jan.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue May 28, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi Ive bought bikes cars and scooters privately many times but to be honest not for a while. In the good old days you could go into traffico and they would explain and help. HOWEVER all traffico seem to be doing these days is changing driving licenses from uk to spanish. You now ALWAYS need a CITA appointment and you may have to wait for ages.

My last bike i paid the tax in san roaque and the traffico fee €50 and it was easy done there and then . I had the forms and the seller was english. I recently found out that there is in addition to the transfer fees as stated above which we all know about (i believe traffic is €57 now) that there is an obligation for the seller to privately and in addition contact traffico pay €8.70 and notify them that they have sold the vehicle.

(NB) PLEASE NOTE (sorry for the latin) IT IS STILL ILLEGAL AND AGAINST EU LAW FOR SPAIN TO CHARGE FOR THE ADMINISTRATION SIDE OF VEHICLE TRANSFER. THE €57 ADMIN FEE AT TRAFICO IS ILLEGAL BUT STILL HAPPENS AND SPAIN JUST PAYS THE MINIMAL FINE AND GET BILLIONS GOING TO MADRID. EU law states that the transfer of vehicles should be free to do like i believe it is in the UK. Its been about 25 years since I lived in England so im thinking of the 90's. The irony now is that as they have "streamlined" the system and its now online. I cant do it and pay a gestor which takes absolute ages.
Just a final point anyone who is registered disabled make sure your town hall know as you will NOT pay the annual TAX and that can save you a lot of cash over they years!!!!! bikes and scooter forget it i pay €18 for my 500cc so not too bad but the car is €100's ALOT.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:10 pm

you dont really need to go to a gestor to do a sales contract, you can get one online and both sign it.

I would make an appointment at traffico and go there with the seller and then hes gotta give all his ID etc to them?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.