UK Car now on Spanish Plates .. possible documentation problem!

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
mikmak

UK Car now on Spanish Plates .. possible documentation problem!

Postby mikmak » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone

Just a little conundrum, so if anyone can she some light that would be great.

Had my UK 2010 Renault Grand Scenic 1.4 changed to Spanish Plates and received my new documentation Today (Tues 4t June).

The Spanish Log Book now says My car is a Renault 'Megane Scenic'. and on the ITV it says my car model is a 'JZ'

Has something gone wrong as the Megane Scenic stopped being made in 2004 and the they became Scenic I, Scenic II, Scenic III (which mine is) and now they are in Scenic IV or more.
and, 'JZ' refers to the begging of codes for the Grand Scenic if you are looking for parts. (Renault Grand Scénic III 2010 JZ0/1_ 1.4 16V)

I have spoken to the company that did our transfer they say that the DGT is correct and that the documentation is correct. and that's that!

Its a totally different model.

Any help/advice or is everything fine.

Thanks Mike

mikmak

Re: UK Car now on Spanish Plates .. possible documentation problem!

Postby mikmak » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 pm

refers to the begging of codes .... should read

refers to the beginning of the code ....

Sorry

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi mikmak,

Clearly not correct..........but can you find something to make them correct it.......
Some things to check............

La tarjeta de inspección técnica........will apply to Permiso de Circulación

the VIN number...........is it your chassis number ... :?: has it got the JZ01 ..so should start VF1JZ01... i.e made in France and model

When you book ITV, the booking form will just have Registration number and Vehicle type e.g. Turismo

So you "could " be OK.....

Another thing they seem hot on over here is correct Tyre size...the complete spec...e.g. 165/70R14 85R..........and same make/model across the axle.

I would think the Load rating of the Grand Scenic Tyres would be higher than the smaller Megane Scenic that's the 85R in the above example.

If that's the case it needs to changed...........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:38 am

They will have taken the codes from the EU COC. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned carry a copy of the COC in the car to show the police if you are asked.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 am

It might just be regional naming conventions, my Toyota Rav4 XT4 became something like a Toyota Rav4 SOL or LUNA once it was imported here. It really is only the codes Enrique mentions that matter.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm

Admittedly this was about 22 years ago....but I imported a 2.4l petrol engined Land Cruiser originally registered in Germany. Since that specific model was never actually sold new in Spain, they picked the nearest equivalent on their books - the 3.0l diesel version :shock:
At the time I had too many other things on my mind to care, so just left it. I sold the vehicle a couple of years later to an employee of my gestor (who had arranged the re-registration), and it became Somebody Else's Problem :shh:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:32 am

The original Scenic from 1999 was marketed and badged as a Renault Megane Scenic, I know because I bought one brand new in 1999 so perhaps that'a the benchmark they are using ? whether you call it a "Grand scenic or "JZ" the basic model is a Renault megane, Another model in the Megane range was the Magane "coupe" which was badged and marketed as a "Megane" but was actually a small saloon and nothing like the scenic, confusing eh ??

mikmak

Postby mikmak » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for the insights.

Still looking into it, but can't seem to find a starting point short of asking another company / gestor to look into it.

I will post any new updates

Thank again for the help.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:17 pm

my megane is on its ficha as diesel. its never been diesel, it was "born" a petrol. they tell me every year to go to traffico and get it changed.. but i´m sure that will mean a perito and €100.00 :rolleyes:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:31 pm

When I bought my current, 2nd hand car, it was wrongly registered to me as a diesel. Always been a petrol engined car.
The ITV tester was concerned that I paid too much for the ITV, dearer for diesels, and told me to go to the office and get a refund of the difference.
Went to traffico and got it changed, very easy and simple, and if I remember correctly was only a few euros, certainly no where near €100
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 pm

interesting, i might have to make an appointment.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am

Here's a nice little story to brighten up your day, several years ago a Finnish friend of mine imported his Mitsubishi 4 x 4 into Gran canaria, when he took it to the m o t station to get it registered and check etc the mechanics/testers were in hysterics whilst carrying out the procedure, when my mate in his very passable Spanish asked one of the lads what was so funny the guy pointed to the back of the car and said are you ****ing serious ??

Anyway the car in question was passed and registered with no problems and is still cruising the roads of Gran Canaria !!

The 4 x 4 was originally registered and marketed as a Mitsubishi Pajero :wink: !!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 pm

"PAJERO" :eh: