International Driving Licence

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Unicorn
Resident

International Driving Licence

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Anyone know if it OK to drive just with that as they have sent their normal UK EU one off for renewal. I said I thought so as it has all the details etc and photo but would like to double check.

It was issued in the UK in March when we thought we were leaving the EU so valid for a year.

Cheers folks!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: International Driving Licence

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:14 am

Ok in the UK as the police can double check dvla. I suppose it depends on which side the Spanish police get out of bed on the day you are asked to produce. When I got my international permit I only took my passport to the post office if I remember correctly. I cant remember producing my licence at the counter..

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:48 am

I just checked on the Post Office site and it specifically says that you need both your original licence as well as the International one
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/internatio ... ing-permit to drive with it-

Given, according the The Olive Press the police are doing a blitz on driving starting today at 3pm with drones and extra forces, it probably isn't worth the risk.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Summer hols are starting. They always do a blitz around then. You have to drive with a legal licence from the country you live in. A IDP is in addition to your legal licence not something to be used as a stand alone. Like the post office website says

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:45 pm

I don't think the Guardia is doing a "blitz" on boring things like driving licences. They are more interested in keeping control of "La Salida" when a million drivers are on the road going off for their 2 month long holidays on the coast. They certainly haven't got the time to check licences!

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:50 pm

The fact you have to have your proper licence with you to validate the IDP just shows what a pointless rip-off it really is.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:05 am

I got mine on 29/3 also, Unicorn, having booked a flight several weeks before when it all looked to be heading areola upwards. I got 1968 for France and just about everywhere else, but of course Spain has to want the 1949 (only lasts 12 months to boot). Sitting in my drawer as there's no need before Hallowe'en. As you found, it doesn't standalone at all, but everyone has to renew their driver's licence at some point. Even though it's a legal requirement to carry it, an €80 fine is the penalty if El Plod isn't sympa, which sure beats being stuck indoors for weeks. If you're UK resident, they might struggle with the concept of someone being here on vacation while their licence is off for renewal but it can't be unheard of. If you're ES-resident I'd ditch the UK licence like a hot brick; wish I could. Nobody in Blighty gives a monkeys about IDPs, EU citizen or not.

At £5.50 a pop (and the 1968's valid for 3yrs) it's hardly a rip-off. If the UK decides to be a 3rd country, it's part of the baggage. There are bigger stains on the tablecloth to deal with than an IDP.

Saw two drones today; one over the Med hugging the CdS and (possibly the same) later over the A7. I'd read that they were really going for mobile 'phone usage while driving. I have to say, this sounds like a lot of horse also, but it might as well be put out there for the PR. If the drone (busy doing something else) makes people stop texting, wear their belts and drive less like they sent off 10 Chupa Chups wrappers to get licenced to irritate, fine. Numerous private 'copters in the M25 area unwittingly have the same effect, to the satisfaction of Cressida *beep*'s accountants.

EDIT: Met Police Chief name not to be printed on a family forum, of course.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am

El Cid wrote:I don't think the Guardia is doing a "blitz" on boring things like driving licences. They are more interested in keeping control of "La Salida" when a million drivers are on the road going off for their 2 month long holidays on the coast. They certainly haven't got the time to check licences!

Sid
I agree. I have been stopped about 8 times in twenty years and only ever showed my licence once when stopped for speeding. That was to confirm my UK address. Other times they were more interested in the insurance being correct.