tyre

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
wollie
Resident

tyre

Postby wollie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:31 am

I had an incident with hire car two weeks ago and welcome opinion here.
What happened was i got flat tyre on Saturday and if i am honest i was likely the cause as i was driving up to a castle on cobbles.
Well the tyre was front so i had to take off front wheel and put the "Bicycle wheel" on there, i then had to switch the tyres so as the little wheel be on the rear, it was alot of work and must have took an hour.
Anyway i speak to a friend and he tells me we are liable for tyres so as i need to do big journey on Sunday i go and buy new tyre at my own expense, i really do not have a big problem with this as i blame myself for tyre damage. The company i hire from have a cost as to tyre damage but i am thinking this refers to negligence which did not happen in this case but the tyre man did not want to repair.
After all this happened i contacted car hire company but i cannot remember what triggered this, they told me they had roadside assistance so i thought i may be able to recover the cost of tyre. She said i could speak to manager when i return car, i asked for manager but assistant took the details and the receipt for tyre. They are now basically giving me the runaround. I really do not mind having paid for tyre but in saying that i had considerable work + i saved the company of calling out repair people if i can get refund be great.

What is the opinion here? i also have excess insurance.
Many thanks...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: tyre

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:42 am

Most car hire companies have a clause for tyre, exhaust and under floor damage. Basically if you damage any of those 3 you are liable. I suppose it stops people going off road or up dirt tracks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:43 am

I would say that buying a tyre was yourself was the cheap way out because for sure the hire company would have charged you full retail. The chances of getting a refund now are almost impossible.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 am

Does your excess insurance cover for the tyre. Most standard hire car polices dont cover tyres, glass or the underneath so you would have to pay for it anyway. Only if you pay for extra insurance or have your own does it cover the tyres etc

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks for replies which are pretty well the same views as my own.
I will ask excess insurance but i think unlikely.

Regards.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Couldnt you just ask the hire car company for a reciept for the cost of the tyre then claim it back off your excess

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:33 pm

The hire company didn’t provide the tyre. The Op did.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 am

Yeah but it saved the company from buying one. They could just bill him for the price of the tyre as if they had to buy it then the o.p can claim it back.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 am

elusive wrote:Yeah but it saved the company from buying one. They could just bill him for the price of the tyre as if they had to buy it then the o.p can claim it back.
But they were never going to buy one. it was down to the drivers expense as it always is with a rental car. They would have added it on to his rental bill if he taken the car back on a space saver, the same as if you take one back empty of fuel when it should be full.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

Basically the car hire company has refused to refund on the basis that i made the decision without informing them, also the fact that tyres are not covered which someone earlier mentioned and i knew this already but i thought this may be for deliberate negligence and not a flat tyre which was deemed not fit to repair.
I have the receipt and am now in the processs of trying to recover from excess and will post the result of this, i am not really bothered whether i get refund or not as i am pretty sure i was totally the cause of the damage in the first place.

Many thanks...