Replating Spanish car in the Uk

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Replating Spanish car in the Uk

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Out of intrest has anyone done the above or have any idea of the sort of cost.

1bassleft
Resident

Re: Replating Spanish car in the Uk

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm

No, but I've read about it on the .gov websites. Appears to be pretty straightforward and inexpensive; certainly compared to the reverse process. In order to replate and pass a UK MOT, you'll need RHD headlamps fitted, a Certificate of Conformity and (LHD) a Certificate of Mutual Recognition. Often forgotten, a working fog lamp needs to be on the driver's side. And (not a lot of) money. I doubt that anything would change much after Hallowe'en, but you (or Boris) never know for sure.
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:01 pm

I have done it and documented it on my website. It's from 2015, but the procedure is still the same.
https://www.kn0wall.co.uk/wordpress/201 ... in-the-uk/

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 pm

it used to be a fee of 38 pounds.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:56 pm

I returned to live in the UK in 2014 and as my Spanish registered left hand car was less than 2 years old I planned to re-register it in the UK.

I fully investigated the procedure involved (as fully documented by White Horse) and the most expensive part for me would have been the changes needed to things like headlights, speedo, rear reversing light etc. I took the car (Hyundai) to the local dealer who, unsurprisingly, had never been involved in such work. When they costed the parts and labour involved it came (in 2014) to just over £1,200. Add that to the Official documentation costs it is far from inexpensive.

I needed the car to bring things back so selling it in Spain was not an option. However, I decided to sell it here in the UK rather than spend money on what would always be a left hand drive car with the disadvantages that has. I sold it to the LHD Car Centre in Basingstoke (from whom I had bought an earlier LHD car 10 years previously when moving to Spain). I was content with the price they gave me and then bought a new RHD car.

Of course we all have our reasons for doing things but, for me, re-registering a LHD car in the UK and all the costs involved is time consuming and far from inexpensive. Unless the car is special or there are exceptional reasons for doing so, I would not want to go down the re-registration route.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks for your imput master .will give the links a read aswell . Cheers.