Strange request re. Vehicle Reg in the UK

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Strange request re. Vehicle Reg in the UK

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Yes you assumed that everybody knew your circumstances and would advise you accordingly and it was indeed dangerous as you could have blindly followed my advice.

Now I know your circumstances I can advise you it would be impossible for you to claim that you live there as the accommodation is not available to you at all times.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Hmmmm, perhaps pumpkins have goldfish memories? I posted on this forum months back “ Thinking of getting a static caravan in the UK as a Brit-base for summer escapes and family visits, and a runabout to be left there.
All the online sites collapse when faced with uk car/in uk/main residence in Spain/Spanish licence.....other than having the car in another name there (don’t like falsehoods) is there a way round it, and to get a quote? Anybody done this?”
Amongst the responders was a certain paddy pumpkin....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:28 pm

That must be 5 to 6 months ago.I recall the post just not who posted it. I am not sure if that is because I am rubbish with names or maybe you need to do something to make yourself more memorable...Boris Johnson hair...Donald Trump wig?

If I recall correctly your only legal way out was and still is

1.leave a Spanish registered car in the UK,which is legal as long as you reside in Spain
2. Get a residence in the UK and register a UK car there...the law that I advised you about back then remains the same regarding residence. The UK law has no definition of residence or register of residents. If the UK did then we wouldn't have this Brexit mess as EU law allows for control of immigration it is just that the UK chose not to enforce it....amazing how Brexit creeps in to everything now

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 pm

peteroldracer wrote: I have found a company that says they can do as we ask (though with a cutoff at age 75, with a possibility that they will be able to get cover beyond that), estimated premium in range £800-1000 for Full comp on, say, a Corsa. They are called Sterling Insurance, based in Bishops Stortford.
Maybe everyone missed this?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.