Cyclists

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cyclists

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am

Paddy, I think you are telling pork pies. You cover 20000kms a year in your car so you obviously work and you still have time to do 288 kms every week on your bike. You sure you got your sums right?

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm

I think all motorists should be made to cycle for a day then they might be more tolerant to cyclists.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:48 pm

I think all Cyclists should pay road tax and be insured.
I So Bella tis you

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:32 pm

costakid wrote:Paddy, I think you are telling pork pies. You cover 20000kms a year in your car so you obviously work and you still have time to do 288 kms every week on your bike. You sure you got your sums right?

Yes I defeinitely have my sums right. I can see my car KMs from my ITV, car servicing and also the frequency I have to top up add blue. The bike has a little Garmin computer on the handle bars and also Strava (facebook for athletes) keeps a total

Round trip Madrid to the coast 1000km. How many times a year do you think I do that? A road trip to visit a new part of Spain 2,000 kms which I do a few times a year. A round trip to Paris this year with many stops a long the way 4,000km. 20,000 kms is less than 200 hours driving on the motorway per year. 4 hours per week. Actually my km's per year driving have gone up since I worked less as I have more time to travel

288kms is about 10 hours per week on the bike. So 3 morning spins covers that. My personal record for the week is 763km (I was de Rodriguez so had time on my hands) I exercise 15-20 hours per week. Go and have a look at the training programme for any half way competitive triathlete or cyclist or have a look at the top cyclists on Strava to see what they do in a week

I think you should enlighten yourself before you accuse people of telling porkies

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:41 pm

country boy wrote:Mr Pumpkin, one question please.
Do you consider that all Bicycles should legally have to have a working bell fitted as an audible warning device for pedestrians and other road hazards?
Yes, in exactly the same way a car does.

Although I find my voice is more effective, louder and quicker to activate. Whilst also allowing me to keep control of my bike with both hands on the bars. I rarley use the bell as I cannot pull the brakes or steer at the same time as operating the bell. Additionally the bell is not loud enough to be heard at any distance from you. If you are travelling at 50km/h on the bike in one second you cover 14 metres, so you are better off reaching for the brakes than the bell....for everybody's sake

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:00 pm

I was under the impression that the maximum speed for cyclists in Spain is 45 kph but as you are so familiar with the cycling laws I assume I must be wrong.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:18 pm

There is a limit of 10kph on the footpath (yes Spain permits cycling on the path) and 30kph in cycle lanes.

On the road the speed limit is the same as the motorist.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:20 pm

As there is no way a cyclist knows how fast they are travelling how do they respect speed limits? Answer, they don’t.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:22 pm

peteroldracer wrote:As there is no way a cyclist knows how fast they are travelling how do they respect speed limits? Answer, they don’t.

GPS computers such as this

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cIntoSp ... ng-p1.html

Do you really think Chris Froome has no idea of his speed?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Chris Froome is a professional cyclist, unlike all the idiots that give the rest of us so much grief...how many comments does it take a pumpkin to realise that what he and his like does is deeply offensive and annoying to the rest of the population?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote:...On the road the speed limit is the same as the motorist.
Is this wrong then?
limites-de-velocidad-cambio-normativo-90-detalle.jpg
En cuanto a las bicicletas, pueden ir por autovías, salvo por aquellas que lo tengan expresamente prohibido, a una velocidad máxima de 45 km/h.

http://revista.dgt.es/es/sabia-que/norm ... ular.shtml

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:23 am

I find the Pumpkin guilty of speeding. Take him down.

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:31 am

Re the new bridge over Guadalhorce.. local English press said it had been completed. Well almost but not done and blocked off . It spans half the river to the island in the middle and the rest can be crossed by the existing concrete road/bridge. It is part of the coastal walkway, but a good half mile inland - I needed to ask to be told where it was. No signposts - maybe there will when finished. I'll give it a try later on in the year when temps are more conducive to cycling. And there is no boardwalk at all from Los Alamos beach to Traviata beach- never going to push my bike along there ever again!

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:18 pm There is a limit of 10kph on the footpath (yes Spain permits cycling on the path) and 30kph in cycle lanes.

On the road the speed limit is the same as the motorist.
Lol, wrong again.

Cycling on footpath is not allowed. Some townhalls make exceptions, but in the event of incidents
, the supreme court has already overruled it.

FYI, cyclists can't cycle across pedestrian crossings either and same rules as motorists apply to alcohol levels.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:41 pm
country boy wrote:Mr Pumpkin, one question please.
Do you consider that all Bicycles should legally have to have a working bell fitted as an audible warning device for pedestrians and other road hazards?
Yes, in exactly the same way a car does.

Although I find my voice is more effective, louder and quicker to activate. Whilst also allowing me to keep control of my bike with both hands on the bars. I rarley use the bell as I cannot pull the brakes or steer at the same time as operating the bell. Additionally the bell is not loud enough to be heard at any distance from you. If you are travelling at 50km/h on the bike in one second you cover 14 metres, so you are better off reaching for the brakes than the bell....for everybody's sake
If you are travelling at 50 km where there are pedestrians then you need to get help, whatever the laws says stupidity and arrogance do not supercede the law, I look forward to the time, and it will come, when all cycles will be registered with a number plate and fully insured !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:11 pm

I bet you just love these electric scooters!

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:03 pm

I abhor those electric scooters, the time will come, and it's fast approaching, when they will be more dangerous than cycles, I witnessed an incident here some weeks a go where a moron turned into a blind alley without slowing down and knocked an old lady down, I can say with all honesty that he was very nearly lynched, anyway some member of the public actually confiscated the scooter and walked off with it !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 am

Those electric scooters should be banned or limited to 10kph. Pis++d up tourists going around Malaga city like lunatics on them and even worse now there are less people about.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:19 am

I was a second away from being knocked down by a cyclist the other week in Nerja. I was walking up a side road from a carpark and just as I approached the main road (Verano Azul park opposite the MAS supermarket for those who know Nerja) a middle aged man on a bicycle suddenly appeared from behind the building on the corner and flew past in front of me on the pavement. Another step forward and I would have been in his path. I was so surprised that I didn't even shout out at him.