Cyclists

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Cyclists

Postby country boy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Whilst I applaud the legislation that motorists should give Cyclists 1.5 metre clearance when overtaking I wonder when we will hear of cyclists being prosecuted for erratic cycling, cycling two abreast, cycling as a moving traffic jam in a 50 yards long bunch being impossible to overtake on twisty roads. Generally they are an arrogant example of humanity and really need to learn some manners. Our local road the A7054 has been designated a Ruta Cyclista, it is a total nightmare at weekends.
End of rant!

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Re: Cyclists

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm sure 2 abreast is legal in Spain.
Gerry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:36 pm

You are lucky if they only ride 2 abreast, often see them 3 or 4 abreast.
Yes they are a law unto themselves, totally ignoring give way signs, stop signs, red traffic lights and people on pedestrian crossings.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 pm

GerryinCajiz wrote:I'm sure 2 abreast is legal in Spain.
Appears to be, though should single out if causing traffic to back up behind them;

Article 36.2 of the Spanish regulations – Código de Tráfico y Seguridad Vial – states:
“2. It is forbidden for the vehicles listed in the previous section [including cyclists] [to] circulate in a parallel position, except for bicycles, which may do so in a two-by-two column, edging as far as possible to the extreme right of the road and placing in a row in sections with no visibility, and when they form traffic jams (aglomeración tráfico).”

Not sure which is the more difficult to pass in a car safely giving the required passing room; a long line of single cyclists, or a smaller bunch of cyclists 2 abreast.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 pm

along the coast east Malaga 4 or 5 abreast is the norm.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 am

A7054....runs from Campanillas to Pizarra. It is a 20 minute journey but is quicker if you take the A357.

However before you criticise a cyclist I suggest you learn the law. Cycling two abreast is legal. Additionally cyclists are permitted to go through red lights, pedestrian crossings and yield signs in certain circumstances. Given that you are not aware of the rules on two abreast cycling it is unlikely that you know the other laws that are unique to cyclists.. I would suggest before you rant on cyclists in Spain that you know the law of the land.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:53 am

What are those circumstances Paddy, which allow cyclists to ignore normal rules ?
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 am

Yes, I would like to know that as well and so, I am sure, would many other members. A reference to the article of the traffic law which states this would be useful because the N332 Guardia Civil Roadwatch magazine states that cyclists are subject to the same traffic laws as the rest of us even if they are allowed to ride two abreast.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:25 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote:A7054....runs from Campanillas to Pizarra. It is a 20 minute journey but is quicker if you take the A357.
Gosh... Thanks!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Paddy is obviously a lycra clad cyclist and is defending is sport but I know for sure they are not allowed to jump red lights etc. Riding two abreast is one thing but breaking the traffic laws is another. Along Malagueta front you often see the police with a radar gun clocking cyclists speed when riding on the path.
No insurance, no Id and just ride into the back streets if they want to get away. How many times do you see cyclists arguing with pedestrians and motorists?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm

You are allowed to cross the continuous white lines when overtaking cyclists, so long as it is safe to do so.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Fully aware of that but when the cyclists are weaving across the road and already on the wrong side of the continuous white line it is difficult to safely pass them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:25 pm

I cycled from Benalmadena to the cement factory( I'd seen the tower in the distance and wondered what it was - disappointing when I got there!) near Rincon, mostly along various paseos - nice and flat. I was v impressed with that side of town btw. And the speed I go wouldn't register on any police radar.

Maybe someone on here can tell me what has happened to the boardwalk running alongside the Parador golf course near Los Alamos - most of it has gone, which meant pushing the bike for about a km through sand!

Also I've read in the local press that a bridge is going to built over the Guardalhorce river - that'll be a great addition to the costa.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Whether a cyclist, motor-cyclist, car or lorry driver, we all have to drive according to the conditions at the time, whether that is the weather, the surface, a tractor, or a cyclist making slow progress uphill on a blind bend.
Of course, cyclists should not ignore stop signs or red lights.
Remember that the whole point of using roads is to get everyone where they are going - and safely. Better late than never.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:42 pm

In reply to several above the circumstances are below

The law in Spain allows a group of cyclists to follow the first cyclist in a group. So if the first cyclist in a group crosses a green light which subsequently turns red the group can follow through the red light. The same applies to a pedestrian crossing.

This also applies to roundabouts with the yield sign where the cars on the roundabouts must yield to the cyclists following the first bike. If the first bike enters the roundabout correctly and safely then then other bikes then have the priority over the cars on the roundabout who must yield to the rest

Artículo 23. Circular en grupos

Cuando los conductores de bicicleta circulen en grupo, serán considerados como una única unidad móvil a los efectos de prioridad de paso.

Hopefully now those above who doubted the law will now adjust their behaviour on the road and respect the rights of cyclist

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:55 am

Every country has some stupid laws, and Spain is certainly no exception, but if the above is true it is the most idiotic I've ever heard. "S*** for Brains Award of the Century" to the clowns who dreamed that one up.

Parilla

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Hopefully now those above who doubted the law will now adjust their behaviour on the road and respect the rights of cyclist
That may happen when the self righteous lycra louts start respecting the rights of other road (and pavement) users.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am

I wish you both good luck with that attitude when a Guardia Civil officer stops you for not obeying the law.

Yes I am a cyclist and also a driver. As a driver knowing the law has helped me to understand the cyclists behaviour.

As a cyclist I am regularly harassed by drivers who don't know the law...it amazes me the amount of time this happens with foreign registered cars or cars immediately identifiable as hire cars. Indeed when I have caught up with motorists who have not respected my right of passage I have yet to encounter a native Spaniard. My summation from this is Spaniards know the law, foreigners don't.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am

It is a fact of normal human behaviour that good laws will mostly be obeyed, and bad laws not. I love watching the cycle road races - both on tv and live - but there is a big difference between a peloton on closed roads and the idiotic behaviour of groups of leisure cyclists. Why don't the same rules apply to say groups of joggers, or young men out for an unofficial car rally? Because it would be stupid, I suggest.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:08 am

@ Paddy .... in my experience Spanish drivers are most courteous to cyclists...I hadn't considered it was traffic laws. I try to keep off the roads as cars are getting wider and roads stay the same width!