exercising dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: exercising dogs

Postby Chica56 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 pm

I thought the discs were optional in Andalucia? I don´t have any for my dogs but all are up to date with rabies vaccinations.........immediately the chip is entered in to the database it brings up their entire vaccination history, who did the vaccines, where which date, the whole lot......so no need for the discs......

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:31 pm

It is interesting. In Estepona I am told by other owners and vets that you are fined if it not on the dog collar, or on display.
But I hear that the vets in nearby Sabinillas do not think it necessary to give them out.
Personally I would err on the side of caution and I have it on my dog's collar, but it is up to the individual. After all, it doesn't cost anything, but as I say, up to you. :wave:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 am

Of course all dogs should have public liability insurance. I'm not sure why Mapfre was mentioned but our dog's insurance is with them. €70.00 per year and complete piece of mind. All dogs should have all shots, tick lotion, worming pills, paperwork and updates. Of course.

As for walking off-lead ... I'm glad I live in a place where the Mayor makes the laws, the Cuartel agree, and where we have never heard of Madrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Mystic Merlin, how does the law get around hunting with dogs? Or should that be how does hunting with dogs get around the law?

We live in the countryside and from October to February, every weekend and holiday, men go out with shotguns and small packs of hunting dogs and the dogs, of course, are not on leads. The dogs charge around the lanes, get into fincas that have no fences or defences, roam around woodlands and run riot over the sierras. Some of the hunters are in the local police or the guardia, many are farmers and many just 'normal' people. I just don't think some laws that apply to 'Spain' really do apply throughout the country - just Madrid. :lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 am

Chica56 wrote:I thought the discs were optional in Andalucia?
Perhaps they are but as our vet said, if the policeman or whoever, can see a disc on the dog's collar then he won't bother asking you to produce the paperwork to prove that your dog has had a rabies vaccination.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:04 am

I checked again with our vet yesterday whilst getting one of ours re-vaccinated. He says that when they first received the discs early last year vets were told it was optional for the dog to wear it on the collar. A few months later, he thinks when the bulk distribution of discs to vets had been completed, it became obligatory for a dog to wear it. Yesterday he removed the old disc and replaced it with the new one immediately after the jab.
Brian.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:31 am

Lavanda wrote:Of course all dogs should have public liability insurance. I'm not sure why Mapfre was mentioned but our dog's insurance is with them. €70.00 per year and complete piece of mind. All dogs should have all shots, tick lotion, worming pills, paperwork and updates. Of course.

As for walking off-lead ... I'm glad I live in a place where the Mayor makes the laws, the Cuartel agree, and where we have never heard of Madrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
As far as I know the following are legal requirements:
Microchip and registration of it with the Junta.
Rabies vaccination.
Worming treatment.

Anything else is optional where I live, including insurance, "of course".

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I know, White Horse. I only wrote 'of course' because we are all responsible dog owners, aren't we?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Yes, of course! :thumbup: :clap:

Mystic Merlin
Tourist

Postby Mystic Merlin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:55 am

Nope, Mapfre offers appropriate insurance policies at very good rates........ and no, I am not connected to Mapfre in any way, shape or form.

Mystic Merlin
Tourist

Postby Mystic Merlin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 am

Lavanda wrote:Mystic Merlin, how does the law get around hunting with dogs? Or should that be how does hunting with dogs get around the law?

We live in the countryside and from October to February, every weekend and holiday, men go out with shotguns and small packs of hunting dogs and the dogs, of course, are not on leads. The dogs charge around the lanes, get into fincas that have no fences or defences, roam around woodlands and run riot over the sierras. Some of the hunters are in the local police or the guardia, many are farmers and many just 'normal' people. I just don't think some laws that apply to 'Spain' really do apply throughout the country - just Madrid. :lol:

The law specifically precludes all hunting dogs and shepherds dogs.... Don't shoot the messenger.....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Mystic Merlin, have you been on holiday somewhere nice?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 am

Round the world trip perhaps, taking 4 years!?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:34 am

People who "understand"dogs should therefore be capable of training them, In my 67 years of life I have owned, Irish wolfhounds, German shephards, Red setters, a border collie and lately C0cker Spaniels, the Wolfhounds and C0ckers being by far the most obedient with the Border collie close behind.
There are many stories of dog training but the fact remains that if your dog is properly trained it will never leave your side until commanded or allowed to do so.
Whilst I understand that some owners allow their dogs free (especially in the campo) all dogs are unpredictable and should be subject to control from their master.
I have in the last 15-17 years owned 2 C0ckers, one of whom died 2 years ago and was the most obedient creature you could imagine, my current C0cker, Iida who is now 8 years old and an absolute sweetheart will do as she's told, always, it's down to the training !