Dog Feeding Frequency

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Unicorn
Resident

Dog Feeding Frequency

Postby Unicorn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:57 pm

I have a large 13, nearly 14 year old dog. He has just started not eating his breakfast. He does have appetite as if anything more tempting he will wolf it up and he will eventually eat his food in the evening. I also recently bought 'seniors' food for him so maybe that is very dull stuff.

My feeling that it is the heat, as this is a very recent thing. He seems perfectly happy otherwise. I have bought some wet food to mix a little with his evening meal to encourage him (Lasdog au boef from Supersol, which, frankly, looks quite delicious!). His digestion, no more details required, is absolutely fine.

It just seems like in the morning he can't be bothered.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Cheers folks! :wave:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog Feeding Frequency

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:13 am

Friend has the same issue and thinks its just the heat. theres can go a few days without hardly touching anything. but the dogs perfectly fine. wants to go for walkies etc. aslong as they seem ok in themself i wouldnt worry. its maybe just the heat during the night that makes them feel off it on the morning. i know i do!

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:59 pm

Its probably the heat as others have said.I always feed mine smaller portions in the summer as they are not so active,smaller portions twice daily,earlier in the morning and later in the evening,pretty much similar to humans as we eat much less in the heat also.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for that. I think it is the heat, combined with old age. He seems fine in himself and this heatwave seems to be going on a bit, and it does seem warmer at night than normal. He drinks a lot of water, but always does, so no immediate diabetes worry there.

I thinks he´s fine. Thanks for your comments. Quite frankly when it is really hot I feel like lying down on the marble and having a kip.

Cheers :wave:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:08 pm

I have a young GSD he's always been a slow eater compared to my previous dogs but the past two weeks he just picks at his breakfast which I leave down for an hour he eats his main meal late afternoon as normal, I think it's the heat I know I often don't fancy eating either.
Mhic.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks. Yes, if is definitely the heat, and it seems to be hotter at night this year as well.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:45 pm

we normally leave a couple of bowls of dry food out during the day, and then give them wet food mixed with a few biscuits at night when its cooler.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.